Make Me a Mute

🌻FROM
https://archiveofourown.org/users/nagirci/pseuds/northerndanpour

vampire! Phil human! dan

Words:4286
------------------------------------------------

It isn't the way into Dan's heart, into his head, into his brain - or anything else. He's bored, bored out of his fucking mind, and it's all he can think about.

Twiddling his thumbs and staring into space for want of a better way to pass the time, he can only think about those lips and those legs and those teeth, god, those teeth. It's dangerous, how much he loves the feel of those teeth at the sensitive flesh of his neck, his collarbones, that mouth nibbling and kissing and sucking a trail of bruises like only he knows how. It's silly and stupid and reckless and dangerous, but Dan always comes back to it, to those lips and those legs and that boy whispering his name into his skin.

He shivers at even the thought. He's really lost, isn't he? It's less love than desire, so he tells himself, but is that even true? Yes. It has to be, because they'd never really work past teeth on skin and whispers into pillows and moans tangled in bed sheets. Phil is a fire, despite being as cold as ice, and Dan can't ever possibly compare. It's all for kicks, just for fun, it's all for the thrill of flirting with death; quite literally, too. It's all just his way of expressing something deep inside of him, succumbing to something dark and easily tempted that tells him he loves every minute, loves every moment.

And he does - having his arms pinned above his head and being kissed and sucked until he's done, until he can hear his pulse in his ears louder than any drum he's ever heard, gives him a kind of exhilaration that floods through his veins and makes him feel alive.

I will say this again - It's not the way into his heart or into his head or into his brain, or into any of them.

He lets his eyes move from the patch of carpet where they have been so firmly focused to the computer screen before him, the glow bright in his tired eyes. He looks at all the files he has yet to open and edit and check and upload later, and knows that he has to knuckle down and ignore his thoughts as best as he can, because he might be bored, but he kind of has a job. And it's the best job he could possibly ask for, a job where he can make other people smile and laugh and still enjoy himself and, honestly, he should be eager to get something out to keep it up. He should want to make others happy.

He looks at the clock in the corner of his screen, to find that it's nine o'clock and getting later. It's not even that late yet, he supposes, but it's still dark outside. The sun lowered hours ago, and he's been sat here since before then, doing nothing but sitting in a chair and pretending to edit while really, he still distracted by the tedium of forced work, distracted by the prospect of something far more exciting to be doing. Something far more dangerous mind you, if anyone were to find out, but Dan ever really liked the idea of being safe anyway. It's dark outside now. Maybe he could just leave this, just for a few hours, and then-

No, he shouldn't. He hasn't got enough time. He's got to get this done, get this sorted, and then he can do whatever he wants. He's just got to wait until this is finished; he can last for that long, surely. He's gone longer. He's gone weeks before, even though he still gave in eventually. Besides, it's so bad for him. It slows him down, makes him drowsy for days on end sometimes. And then he definitely won't get anything done, because he can't work tired. He doesn't want to make people wait, just because he's a bit of a selfish bastard.

But it's clear, about ten minutes into the process after he's clicked at file after file and made jump cut after jump cut that he isn't going to get anything done. His knee is jumping up and down listlessly, and he's so unfocused that he's almost deleted the file too many times. He rubs his eyes, groaning in frustration, because he was supposed to have this already done. He was supposed to be able to set this up to upload and then do what he wished. But he can't, because it's not finished, because he can't finish it. Not now, anyway. There are far more important things to deal with.