Chapter 1

Tuesday.

Tuesday was the beginning for Percy. It had been a Tuesday when he had received his history midterm back with a big red D on the front, which was surprising because he thought he had really done better this time.

Tuesday also marked his falling out with Annabeth. It was stupid, and he was stupid, and they both knew that, but Percy felt like he wanted to fight with her. They both needed a reason to break up, and Percy's failed midterm was the perfect opportunity.

As usual, the blonde had been right, but Percy, being the hard-headed stubborn boy he was had decided to defend himself and fight back instead of just saying, "I guess," when she had supposed that he was putting swim practice before school.

But more than that, Percy was feeling lost and confused and hurt and lonely. He was in his junior year of high school, and according to what everyone had been saying, this was the most important year.

Percy was sure he loved Annabeth, but that was a year ago when everything had been new and exciting and she had been that gorgeous girl with witty comments and who had somehow fooled him into loving her, but now he wasn't sure. Sure, she was still gorgeous, and still witty, but more often than not it seemed like she was taking a stab at how badly he was doing rather than just sit back and support him. That was probably the reason why he felt the need to defend himself against her.

And it just seemed like everyone was figured out and knew what they wanted to do and were on the right track to go there, but for Percy it was like floating in oblivion with no one around to hear his cries for help.

People were saying that there was still time but it felt like he was drowning.

And so he had broken it off with Annabeth. As mutual as it was, he was secretly relieved to be rid of her in that way.

This year. This year would be better. He wouldn't cringe and feel a pounding at the pit of his stomach every time his mom opened his grades and frown, and he would cut back his hours on swimming and focus on school.