Comma

Comma.

I have a love-hate relationship with a comma. I love commas when I get to use it in my writing, and I hate them when I have to comment 'Dialogue tag' to books that don't use commas correctly. Disclaimer: I still make comma mistakes myself.

I write this tutorial because there are so many undomesticated commas running wild-or simply not there at all-in the members' books. You should strap your commas to your clauses, guys.

So where and how to use/not use a comma?

1. Use commas to separate words and word groups in a simple series of three or more items.

Example: She just had frappucino, chocolate, and soda. She's gonna get diabetes soon.

Note: The last comma in the series between 'chocolate' and 'and' is known as the Oxford comma. Some writers deem it unnecessary. However, it can lead to confusions.

2. Use a comma to separate two adjectives when the order of the adjectives is interchangeable.

Example: Karin is a cute, innocent woman.

3. Many inexperienced writers run two independent clauses together by using a comma instead of a period. This results in the dreaded run-on sentence or, more technically, a comma splice.

Example (Incorrect use of a comma): I reach home, I slam the door.

It should be 'I reach home, and I slam the door.' Or 'I reach home. I slam the door.'

4. In sentences where two independent clauses are joined by connectors such as and, or, but, etc., put a comma at the end of the first clause.

Example: I reach home, and I slam the door.

5. If the subject does not appear in front of the second verb, a comma is generally unnecessary.

Example: He thought slowly but still did not answer correctly.

6. When starting a sentence with a dependent clause, use a comma after it.

Example: If you're not sure about this rule, ask Karin about it.

A comma is usually unnecessary when the sentence starts with an independent clause followed by a dependent clause.

Example: Ask Karin if you're not sure about this rule.

7. Nonessential words, clauses, and phrases that occur midsentence must be enclosed by commas. The closing comma is called an appositive comma. Many writers forget to add this important comma.

Example: My best friend, Alicia, joined the book club yesterday!

8. Use a comma after certain words that introduce a sentence, such as well, yes, why, hello, hey, etc.

Example: Well, this rule is friggin easy!

9. Use commas to set off expressions that interrupt the sentence flow (nevertheless, after all, by the way, on the other hand, however, etc.).

Example: Nevertheless, writers still do this mistake. Sigh.

10. Use commas to set off the name, nickname, term of endearment, or title of a person directly addressed.

Example: Yes, my dear members. This is one of the most common mistakes writers do.

11. Use a comma to separate the day of the month from the year, and-what most people forget!-always put one after the year, also.

Example: It was in the Sun's June 5, 2003, edition.

No comma is necessary for just the month and year.

Example: It was in a June 2003 article.

12. Use a comma to separate a city from its state, and remember to put one after the state, also.

Example: I'm not from Kentucky, the USA.

13. Use commas to introduce or interrupt direct quotations.

He said, "I don't care."
"Why," I asked, "don't you care?"

14. If the quotation comes before 'he said, they reported, she insisted, she screamed, she whispered', or any other dialogues that are spoken DIRECTLY to someone, end the dialogue with a comma. This is called the dialogue tag. The most common mistake I see in stories.

Example: "Please don't repeat this simple mistake," Karin says.

Other than that, use a period to end dialogues. Especially when the person is doing something while talking.

Example: "Please don't repeat this simple mistake." Karin writes on the paper.

15. Use a comma to separate a statement from a question.

Example: I can go, can't I?

16. Use a comma to separate contrasting parts of a sentence.

Example: This is my book, not yours.

Now leash your undomesticated beasts and/or set the wildlings free.

If you still don't get any of it, please let me know. I'll help to explain it to you as best as I can.

Love,
Karin.

Reference: https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp