Elements of Fiction

When a writer wants to start their story, there should be some elements they have to develop before they connect their pen to a paper.

Basically, there are six major elements of fiction. Character, plot, point of view, setting, style, and theme.

1. Character -- A figure in a literary work. You know the novelist E. M. Forster? He makes a distinction between flat and round characters. Flat characters are types or caricatures defined by a single idea of quality, whereas round characters have the three-dimensional complexity of real people. He also emphasizes that characters are not real people; rather they are like real people.

2. Plot -- the major events that move the action in a narrative. It is the sequence of major events in a story, usually in a cause-effect relation.

3. Point of View -- the vantage point from which a narrative is told. A narrative is typically told from a first-person or third-person point of view (either omniscient or limited).

4. Setting -- That combination of place, historical time, and social milieu that provides the general background for the characters and plot of a literary work. The general setting of a work may differ from the specific setting of an individual scene or event.

5. Style -- The author's type of diction (choice of words), syntax (arrangement of words), and other literary devices (metaphors, similes, etc.) of a work.

6. Theme(s) -- The central and dominating idea (or ideas) in a story. The term also indicates a message or moral implicit in any fiction.

I will talk about each element in another chapter.

Yours,
Karin.

Reference: https://web.csulb.edu/~yamadaty/EleFic.html