7 | Friendship Matters

2010, 3rd year Engineering, 6th Sem.

The Malaria had drained Prajna out, but it was a good break though. She got time to relax, rewind and re-approach.

She knew the love she had been so delicately holding onto, had reached a stage where she had to let go of it. But she didn't want to let go of the friendship too. That was way too precious than love. No, no way!

That's why when Abhi is ranting about how worried he was about her being sick, she was simply sitting there zoning out.

"Are you even listening to me? We came to the hospital! But.. your mother didn't let us in.. what the hell was going on? You have any idea, what was going through my mind? I can't see you cry, and there you were, unconscious with freaking Malaria!" He exclaimed.

Her room gave her the much-needed warmth. Sitting by the window seat, staring down at the street and the trees below, Prajna was calm and composed; she had wrapped her body with the thickest blanket she could find. The slight shivers were still there and her weakness hadn't completely gone. But it was time to be strong. Somehow being back home felt good compared to the smelly hospital corridors.

"Abhi, I am fine. Even if you did see me then, it would be no good. I was under the medications most of the time. I was too weak."

"Exactly! You were so weak.. And we couldn't support you." He looked down with sadness and guilt.

"But you did. I knew you guys would be just outside my room if I needed you." She offered to comfort him. He looked up and sighed, "Don't ever do that again? Please?"

She nodded. At that moment, she wished if her relationship could also be like this. One sickness and he is running into her arms. But that is not how it works right?

"Abhi.. there is something I want to talk to you about."

"It can wait. You recover first. Diya is writing two sets of notes and she spoke to all lecturers since you missed the internals, they will give you a retest. Don't worry, everything is under control."

"No, it's not. It hasn't been since a while now"

"What do you mean?"

"It's.. not... Working out.."

Abhi frowned, "What is not working out?"

Prajna sighed, with a determination, she looked up, "Us."

Abhi was silent for nearly two minutes. At first, he stared at her in shock, and then when realization stuck in he exhaled. And he kept doing that, also some frowning too. He was at a total loss of words.

"Abhi.."

"Prajna.. I.. am so-"

"I am sorry Abhi.. I think.. I don't love you anymore." She lied. Before he got a chance to apologize or confess. She didn't want him to think it was because of him. She didn't want him to be the guilty one.