Prologue

"Today's math test was the worst I've ever taken," Ellison complains as students shuffle across the hallways. "Ms. Williams said it was a pop quiz, the exact quote from her, 'you should always be prepared for my class' end of quote." She shuts her locker and turns to look at me. "Come on, don't just stand there. Say something."

I lean back against the cool wall and snicker. "You're just not good at math, Ellison," I say, rolling my eyes. "Admit it already." I glance at her casually and her eyes narrow with slight malice.

"Oops!" I say, and cover my mouth like I had revealed a big secret. Then I race off giggling before Ellison can catch up and tackle me to the ground.

"Hey! Get back here!" I hear Ellison's high pitched laugh as her footsteps close in on mine.

I feel the wind blowing against my face as I turn to look back at Ellison, who sticks out her tongue in disgust. I feel my heart beating a rhythmic tempo as I pump my legs faster, ignoring the teachers' muffled cries or the students' shocked faces. I imagine I'm in a dark world with no one, nothing there, just Ellison and I. But then the heartbreaking truth crashes into me. Nothing can last forever. Not even our friendship.