Time for a History Lesson

I don't know how long we ran, but by the time Assana demanded that we stop, even my lungs were screaming. Martin was rubbing furiously at a stitch in his side and Wynn looked ready to drop dead on the spot.

"Where...are we...going?" Assana gasped, standing stooped over with her hands on her knees.

I shook my head. I didn't know anything about Green Bay. Mart shrugged helplessly.

"Wynn?" Assana turned on him. "You dragged us into this. What are we going to do now?"

"I've got everything handled," Wynn said.

Assana planted her hands on her hips. "Care to give us more information? We just ran at least a mile to escape a place that wasn't even that bad!"

"That was way more than a mile," I pointed out, but my comment was pretty much ignored.

"Wasn't that bad?" Wynn gaped at Assana. "They were using us! We were nothing but pawns to them! Sure they gave us everything we wanted, but we were still prisoners. I for one do not appreciate being manipulated like that."

Wow. That was the first display of negative emotion I'd seen from Wynn. By the appalled look on Assana's face, obursts like that were few and far between.

"They did give us these abilities in the first place," Assana said.

"You sound like Jin."

Assana's nostrils flared and she shook her head in anger. That was apparently a touchy subject.

"Seriously though," Martin butted in before any other insults could be said, "what's going on?"

I gave him a sympathetic look. Just a few hours ago, I was the weird one. Then Jin, Assana, and Wynn came along. I was having some trouble adjusting too.

In fact, my mind couldn't stop replaying Assana's tidal wave and Wynn's tornado. Their powers definitely outclassed mine.

"My dad and I always had a million plans to get away, some of them we put into place. We just needed to wait for the right moment to run. We have secret safe houses all over the city. The closest one is just a few minutes away and I'd rather get there before Nick finds out we're gone and sics Jin on our trail."

None of us could disagree, so we followed Wynn, this time at a fast walk.

"So," I started casually after a few minutes of awkward silence, "how long have you guys had your powers?"

"We all had the Awakening ceremony two years ago," Assana answered. "Why?

"I'm going on a whopping total of two days with mine," I scoffed.

Wynn and Assana gave me a pitying glance.

"You need proper training, then," Assana said. "Wynn and I can help a little, but I don't know much about your element. We were only taught the ways of our own."

"It shouldn't be too hard!" Wynn's optimism was hard not to share.

"Well I do know one thing for sure about fire," Assana bit her lip. "It's almost always created by the wielder. It's not all around us like air, earth, and water. The energy used to make it comes directly from its creator. It can be difficult and even dangerous if not properly mastered."

Well shit. I wasn't a master of anything except pissing people off. My dismay must have shown because Assana quickly adjusted her tone.

"But Wynn's right, it shouldn't be too hard. Wynn and I are practically masters. We should be able to teach you something."

"That's the spirit!" Wynn said.

We walked a few more blocks in silence.

"There is one thing I have to ask," Assana looked at Martin. "Why are you with Oliver? You're clearly not an elemental, so what's your part in all of this."