Chapter Twenty-four

Chapter Twenty-Four

"I have a question," Jason approached Quince.

"Yeah, what is it?"

"You mentioned there being a... deader dead than this? Like a stage of death that lies even further than what we're at now?" Jason tried to ask casually.

Quince set his book down, "That's correct."

"So could... could someone in this house potentially commit murder?"

"Jason, if you threaten the existence of anyone in this house, I will be notified immediately and I will have to intervene," Quince's eyes narrowed. He didn't like where this was going.

"I'm just asking!" Jason held up his hands in defense. "Sometimes I get concerned about uhh, the tension in the house. That's all, really."

Quince shrugged, "Well, yeah. That's one of the few ways one of us would be able to be deader than we are now. It would put an end to our consciousness completely, destroying every last inch of existence that we own." Jason seemed satisfied with the answer, his shoulders relaxing. This was an odd reaction. "It would be exceedingly difficult for us to kill each other. There're only a few ways to really do it. Besides, I don't think any of us are murderers," Quince lied.

"That makes sense," Jason nodded. "I appreciate the clarification, bye."

"Hey, wait a minute," Quince stood, and Jason halted.

"What is it?" he turned back around.

Quince's stare was mostly blank, but Jason could detect the coldness in it. Jason was surprisingly adept at sensing the emotions of those around him, which usually came to his advantage. Right now, though, he was a little unsettled. Quince was usually so easy-going. Quince spoke, "Don't stress out (y/n) so much. I don't know everything that's going on, but I would appreciate you all toning it down a little."

"Not sure what you're talking about," Jason lied and crossed his arms over his chest defensively.

"Sure you do," Quince tilted his head with a soft smile. "I know what you did." Jason wasn't sure what to say, but he always got an itch to go see you when he felt like this. Other people talking about you made him want to put you away, somewhere safe. He turned to walk away.

"Bye, Quince. See you around."

.:x x x x x:.

When Ryo was kissing you, you eventually stopped fighting and waited for him to stop. It didn't take him long to be satisfied with what he took. You felt sad though; hadn't you guys gotten close enough for him to consider your feelings? Did he really view it as so much of an exchange that he thought it was okay for him to make you insanely uncomfortable as long as it was "his turn"?

"Why did you do that?" you asked softly. Ryo's hands were still holding your wrists, but he was surprisingly gentle now.

Ryo had expected you to yell at him. He didn't know what to do with this sort of reaction. He could feel the truth on the tip of his tongue— "because I like you, (y/n)," but he couldn't say that. Could he? "It's... an exchange," he repeated.

You frowned, "It's not very... this is not a conventional friendship. That's not really how it works."

"Why should it be a friendship?" he asked genuinely, his head leaning into the crook that connected your shoulder to your neck. He was a shockingly cuddly person. "Why can't we just give each other what we want?"

"What is that you want?" you spoke slowly. Carefully.

"I think you know what it is," he said, allowing his body to press completely to yours. You felt like the middle of a sandwich.