Chapter Forty

fixed my caps lock key. 

Chapter Forty

Your brain was a puddle. You were locked in Jason's room, and it had definitely been an hour by now. You wondered how long it would take before someone began looking for you—you wondered how long it would take before someone came knocking on Jason's door to ask him where you were.

It was no secret that Jason liked to horde you to himself.

You could probably cause a ruckus and get people to you faster, but you didn't want to. Eventually, they'd find you, and right now you felt like a shell. You'd rather wait. It didn't feel so awful to have Jason's arms around you, anyway. Despite how dubious his morals were, there was no doubt that he cared for you deeply. In your broken state of mind, you'd accept this affection.

Your mind shifted to Quince. You loved him above all the others, but you also knew your heart was split among them. You did like them all, after all. You weren't sure if you'd say you adored them as much as they clearly adored you, but you'd be happy if you could all be happy together. It might be okay to receive this overload of affection if they could all stop fighting over it.

That's what you told yourself anyway.

As if he could read your thoughts, Jason pulled your back closer to his chest and kissed gently where your shoulder met your neck. "I like that you're here," he said softly.

You wanted to respond, but how?

"I wish we could stay in here forever," he laughed softly, holding you even tighter. "I adore you, I love you, I never want to be without you."

"Jason..."

"I'm telling the truth. I love you—I love you forever. I'll love you like a doorknob loves a door, like rain loves the ocean like flower petals love the wind. I think I could explain it a thousand ways and still not be done telling you."

"I don't know what to say," you offered weakly.

"You don't have to say anything if you don't want to. Just stay with me."

"I'll... I'll stop looking for Don. I can't stay in here forever, but I'll promise to stop looking."

He closed his eyes and let himself savor being so close to you. Your skin, your hair, the way you smelled—the way you fit in his arms perfectly. He wanted to squeeze you so tightly that it crushed your lungs. He wanted to take care of you and to love you and for you to love him. "Thank you," he whispered earnestly. "Can we stay like this a little longer?

"Okay," you responded quietly. You doubted he'd accept a refusal anyway.

By some stroke of fate, just as you uttered your agreement, a harsh knocking came to the door. You were both silent in response.

The knocking paused for a few moments before returning, even louder and angrier than before. It was Ryo. "Jason! I know you're in there, you piece of shit! Open this damn door or I swear to god I'll—"

"You'll what?" Jason yelled back, sitting up slowly and loosening his grip on you.

"Open the fucking door!"

Jason turned to you and spoke quietly, "Go stand by the wall so he doesn't see you. He'll get pretty upset if he knows you're here." You nodded your head—he was right. You did as you were told.

Jason tried not to melt at your obedience, but it was difficult. You were so good for him. You were such a good girl.

Jason opened the door just a crack and glared at the intruder. "What the fuck do you want?"