6

Two weeks later...

Getting used to Elena with emotions had taken its toll on all of the Mikaelsons. Klaus was clearly smitten with the doppelganger, doing everything he could in order to prevent anything that would cause a major meltdown. Kol never seemed to leave her side, wanting to be there for her if she so needed. Elijah, however, preferred to keep his distance. He knew his chance would come to comfort Elena, but he didn't want to give Kol a reason to hate him even more. He took comfort in the fact that she spent her evenings with him, even if it was just to listen to her.

Elena had taken up cooking for the Compound again; it helped keep her mind from wandering. She stood in front of the stove, stirring the pot of spaghetti sauce. Kol came up behind her, resting his head on her shoulder as his hands sat precariously on her thin waist.

"It smells delicious, darling," Kol purred in her ear, "How are you feeling?"

Elena shrugged slightly, "I'm...okay, I guess. Each day is slowly getting better."

It was true. Elena had tried to focus on other things to keep her from breaking down. Cooking had been a good distraction, but sitting with Elijah at night had helped even more. He helped her sort through her feelings and differentiate between which feelings were real and which feelings the sire bond induced.

"Elena?"

"Hmm?" She murmured, pulling herself from her thoughts, "Can you tell Elijah and Klaus that dinner will be ready soon?"

Kol nodded as he left the kitchen.

Elena felt guilty. She knew how Kol felt about her, but now she wasn't sure how she felt about him. She had refused to sleep with him in the past couple weeks and she was grateful that he hadn't pushed her. Even though she had moved to her own room, she found herself sneaking back into Kol's room late at night, missing the comfort of another person.

After dinner was finished and she had cleaned the dishes, she wandered upstairs to Elijah's study. She knocked gently before opening the door.

"Elena, what can I do for you this evening?" Elijah asked, poised with a book sitting behind his desk.

"I-I'm not sure what I feel," Elena muttered, looking down as she sat on the couch.

Elijah got up and sat next to her, "That appears to be more of a personal dilemma than a sire bond one, Elena. If this is about what you feel towards my brother, I can assure you that I am in no place to give you advice."

Elena looked at him, "But, why? You're an unbiased third party."

"I am anything but unbiased, lovely Elena," when she looked at him questioningly, he continued, "Kol, Klaus, and even myself are interested in you, Elena. It's quite strange really," he mused, "Kol never expressed any interest in Tatia or Katerina, yet he seems inexplicitly drawn to you."

Elena felt anger surge through her as she stood, "So, let me get this straight. You and Klaus are only interested in me because I remind you of someone that died and someone who's a vindictive bitch?" She barked out a laugh, "And here I thought everyone just liked me for me. But it's a lie. You only like me for the face I wear."

Elijah stood and tried to take her hand, "I did not mean to offend you, Elena. I'll admit that I was drawn to your face at first, but your personality is what made me realize that you are so much more than a Petrova doppelganger."

She ripped her hand from his grasp, "Don't lie, Elijah. It doesn't suit the noble façade you put on." She stormed out of the room, needing time away from the craziness that seemed to surround her.