24

"I thought that it would be easy to talk to you," Kol said softly as he took her hand in his, "I spent so much of my life hurting the people that care about me that it became second nature. I know what you did wasn't your fault and you had no choice, but instead of being a man about it, I let my pride get in the way. I can't promise you that it won't happen again, but I promise I'll try." Kol looked away from her still form as tears clouded his eyes. He took a deep breath to steady his voice, "I want to be with you. I want to raise our daughter together. We can leave and never come back if that's what you choose. You, me, and Krissy can be a happy family together alone."

____________________________________

Elena struggled to open her eyes. She could hear Kol talking to her, but she couldn't respond. Her body wasn't ready to awake just yet. She wanted to grab Kol and hold him close; make him understand that she forgave him for what he did. But when he mentioned leaving her other children behind to be with him, she nearly lost it. Emilee and Nikole needed her as much as Kristin did. It wasn't fair for him to ask that of her.

____________________________________

Kol sighed and set her hand back on her chest. He ducked his head and placed a kiss to her forehead before wandering back to the parlor.

"Are you done?" Klaus drawled from the couch as he looked up from a book in his lap, "I thought you'd have much more to say to her than just a rushed apology."

"Why does it matter, Nik?" Kol bit out, "She won't come back to me. I'm nothing to her now. I'm a memory of what she was like without her humanity."

Elijah looked up from the papers on his desk, "Kol has said what he felt needed to be said, Niklaus. No reason to taunt the poor boy."

Klaus stood up and set his book down as he looked over at Elijah, "Well, I'm going downstairs to speak to-er-at Elena since Kol finished so early. Elijah, maybe you'd like to go check on Gia and the girls. I'd ask Kol to do it, but I wouldn't want one or all of our children to end up dead."

"You honestly think I'd kill a child?" Kol scoffed indignantly.

Klaus shrugged, "You killed a vampire that was still a child. But, then again, this family makes me want to murder people, too."

"I see my timing is impeccable as usual, brother," Kol taunted as he got up and left the room swiftly.

Klaus muttered after his younger brother before heading to the basement. He stopped short next to the coffin and gazed down lovingly at Elena. He took his seat next to her and gently took her hand.

"For a moment, I thought that I could convince you to stay with me. But, we both know that since the bond's been broken, your feelings for me will dissipate and you'll want nothing to do with me. But I love you, Elena. I love you enough to let you go and be happy with whomever you'd like to. You've changed me for the better."

He brushed the hair from her face and smiled slightly, "I'm not saying that I'm going to stop torturing people or trying to kill my enemies, but I'm going to make an effort to be a better role model for Nikole." He kissed her cheek as he whispered, "In every moment, a choice exists. We can cling to the past or embrace the inevitability of change and allow a brighter future to unfold before us. Such an uncertain future may call for even more uncertain allies. Either way, a new day is coming whether we like it or not. They question is: will you control it? Or let it control you? I choose to control it. For my family. And you're my family, my little doppelganger."

Klaus lowered her hand and walked to the door, staring back at her, "You know, in the last millennium, my siblings and I haven't always seen eye to eye, but in this moment I am reminded of something Elijah has always said. Family is power. I won't let anyone hurt you again."