Chapter Two.

Turns out that Jess did attend the party, all dolled up at that and guess who was right? Me, Juniper Winston. She called me in the middle of the night, crying her eyes out. Me being the nice best friend, I took my parents' car and saved her from her misery.

"You were right, Jun." She sighed, her forehead resting against the cold, car window and I could tell she was trying to understand why she made such a foul choice and why I was right once again. Looking over at her and despite my knowledge of driving safely, I gently squeezed her thigh for a brief moment and hoped that she would stop worrying all too much. Alike myself, Jess worried way too much about the smallest things.
"Why don't you tell me what happened?" I asked, trying to alter the current silence that was profound in the space of the car. I could feel the hurt radiating off of her, and immediately knew that what had happened, included sexual harassment or anything of the sort. "Actually, don't tell me. I have a feeling." I mumbled beneath my breath, my hands only gripping the steering wheel just a little bit tighter.

"Jun, you always have feelings and it's really fucking creep, you know. Maybe you should just shup up once and for all about your stupid feelings." Jess spat back at me, and after everything I had done for her, I had least expected for her to make such a nasty comment. Yes, she was drunk—but isn't there a saying that goes along the lines of, drunks always speak the truth? I full-heartedly believed that, this very moment. I could have been that cruel to have her find her way back home on her own, but I am way too nice to do any of the sort. Once I made it back home however, I didn't bother to help her, or check up on her. It was 2:48AM and I really could care less, considering how my best friend approached the situation, when all I was doing, is being honest. I would lie if I said it didn't hurt. Knowing, that she thought of me as some creep, or weirdo—was quite traumatizing.

"Don't bother to text me. Have a good-fucking-night." I was angry and more than upset. I felt tears welling up in my eyes and with the street being dimmed down, the tears might just glisten further, and the last thing I needed was for her to simply know I was on the verge of tears.

I quietly made my way back into our house. My parents didn't know I had snuck out to help my friend, or supposed friend, in need. In this very moment, I wondered whether or not she really liked me, or pretended to like me. Was it just a pity friendship? Considering she believed I was incapable of finding my own friends? Yes, I have difficulties making acquaintances, but I'm not some loner-chick, that doesn't know how to approach people!

...

Maybe I did rely on Jess too much. I must have been a fool to believe that she really liked me. "I, Juniper Winston, am a fool." I muttered to myself, barely audible, as I made my way back up to my room. I slipped on my oversized t-shirt again and made myself comfortable in my more than cozy bed. This might just be my own beginning. A life without Jess? It seemed, impossible—but who knew what the future had in stock for me? Maybe I'll meet the love of my life, without her help! Or, I'll end up with better grades than her because I actually sit down and study.

"Jess Dolan, right now..." I was about to finish my sentence, before I heard a voice finish it for me. "...Dead to me." My eyes had gone wide and I instantly jolted up to a seated position and looked around frantically. Nonetheless, did I conclude said encounter with the fact, that it was all just an imaginary voice that liked to play tricks on me. It was 3:24AM by that moment, and wasn't it supposed to be the infamous Devil's Hour? Who really knew about all those spiritual things, whether or not they were real? Was there proof that there was a life beyond the realm?

Before I could overthink, I had shut my eyes, and found myself in a relaxing slumber and to only be woken up by a too familiar voice.

...

"Juniper! Jun, wake up!" My mom said, lightly shaking my shoulders. Tiredly rubbing my eyes, I only managed to open them the slightest bit, a groan emitting from my barely parted lips. It was too early, yet I knew what this morning conversation would end up being.

"I know, you're going to work. Don't forget to feed the dog and take out the trash—or whatever." I was still in a mood from the incident last night, or this morning? Could you blame me? It felt as if I lost my best friend in the matter of six seconds, but that's life. My mother looked at me with such disappointment, and a sigh left my lips.
"I'm sorry, Jess and I had an argument and it still lingers deep within me." I dramatized the situation a bit, only so that her and I could have a little laugh, and with a kiss to the forehead she had left the room. I'm 20, yet it is safe to say that my mother is my truest best friend. I am always able to rely on her for whatever reason it might be, and I truly cherished each and every moment I got to spend with her. And it is also important to mention, that the same goes for my dad.

It took me quite some time getting out bed that morning; it was Saturday and all I wanted to do was absolutely nothing. Stay in bed, catch up on social media, watch way too much television—now that, sounded like a plan, which I could not go through with as there were more important things to do.

...

I needed to figure out, where that voice came from last night. Who spoke to me, and why did they know exactly what I may, or may not, wanted to say. For right now, I'll call it an entity. Was I a fool to believe in the supernatural and spiritual world? Absolutely not! It was unlikely that we are the only beings in the massive universe. Has any scientist tried to find out whether or not aliens are among us already? If not, may I be the first.

Upon hours of frantic and hysterical research and a flooded Google search bar consisting of:

**Are there Aliens among our planet Earth?

**Can a normal person communicate with good Spirits?

**Are Spirits real?

**Why can't I contact the spiritual world?

I found, absolutely nothing. I didn't feel enlightened or smarter. I must've read about 47 different articles about people who have sought to contact the spirits, with little to no success or they were abnormally crazy people. Similar to me, as Jess would now say. With little to no new knowledge about whether or not this voice I heard in the middle of the night was an entity or not, or just my stupid imagination, a loud huff had been exhaled.

"I should really put this much effort of research into my school projects and not some stupid entity." A quiet laugh left my lips and I shut my laptop and went on about my morning. However, as stupid as it sounded, the odd experience of that certain night, never left the back of my mind.

...

I eventually made my way downstairs, just so that I could feed our dog, Benji, and actually take out the trash before either of my parents came back home. When being assigned chores, I did try my best to work through them. While taking out the trash, Ms. Dolan was outside fetching the newspaper and because of my gratitude for all of the joyful years, there were now—officially over, I waved and wished her a wonderful day.

There were so many words I wanted to rid my mouth of, but I would not use my mouth for foul nonsense; not in a time like this. I had better things to worry about, and I would most likely not get a good night sleep, until I knew the whole story of what that night was all about...