XXXII - Warlords Like War

Rilvuldra's funeral was held the day after her death.

It was noon, but no sun shone in the sky; the iron grey clouds of winter blotted it out and dusted the ground with its white snow, as if it too were mourning the death of a woman that had been so beloved by her people in life. Villagers that were able to walk gathered around the pyre, wrapped up in their warm fur cloaks, to say their goodbyes one last time.

Rilvuldra's body had wasted away so much that she weighed next to nothing. Leravacha had wrapped her in white and laid her upon the funeral pyre herself; she carried her the same way she had carried her on their wedding day ten years ago. Cheiftain's were not meant to weep. To weep was a sign of weakness, and weakness was forbidden upon the Drangok's rulers. That was simply tradition.

Leravacha never cried. Tears would not make a person come back to them, as her father had told her when her mother had died when she was seven. Her father loved her very much, and had wanted her and her older brother and younger sister to be strong.

But on this day, and this day alone, silent tears streamed down Leravacha's face.

It would be the last day that she ever cried in her life, for the tears she wept on that day held the entirety of her heart's love in their watery souls. She had no longer had any more to give; no longer held any tears to shed.

When the pyre was lit, a tail of smoke flew into the air, as if it too were escaping this cruel and horrid world that it had been forced into. The crackling orange fire was hot upon their cold faces. Leravacha's hand clenched into a fist.

"Her soul returns to Lord Cheimon now...," Hakrynsif whispered. She clasped the medallion around her neck and squeezed her eyes shut. "I am so sorry, Leravacha. Please forgive me-"

Leravacha suddenly turned around and clasped her sister in a bone crushing embrace. Hakrynsif tensed up, her eyes widening. Her sister never hugged her.

"Don't you dare blame yourself, Hakrynsif," Leravacha choked. "It isn't your fault and you know it." She held her sister tight. "I love you. Rilvuldra loved you. You are not at fault here, and do not think for even a second that you are."

Hakrynsif sniffled. She returned her sister's touch, resting her head on Leravacha's shoulder. "Thank you...Chieftain."

Leravacha slowly let go. She wiped Hakrynsif's eyes and smiled sadly. She turned back around to the burning pyre. Isendir slowly walked over to her.

"You never know how precious that little thing you have is until it's gone," the Chieftain whispered softly. She wiped her eyes and sighed. "I knew the day that I met her that she was the one. She was too perfect for this world. I was never meant to be Chieftain." Leravacha shook her head. "My elder brother, Zairyk was destined for that. But he was exiled from our tribe shortly before my father died, leaving me next in line. Father was supportive of me, despite the fact that I would never have an heir. But Hakrynsif is a smart girl...I would feel comfortable with her as Chieftain, and I think father would too."

"You're a strong woman, Chieftain," Isendir said after a while. The orange flames were reflected in his brown eyes. "You can lead your people out of this, and of that I have no doubt."

Leravacha smiled at him. "Of course I can. Rilvuldra would be so disappointed in me to see me fall and grow weak because of her passing. I can't do that to her." She beat her fist over her heart. "I am Leravachainisyilliad Zindidre, and I am Chieftain here. I have a job to do, and I damn well plan on finishing it until the last breath I ever take leaves my body. But...I will always yearn for the day when I can see her again...."

The two fell silent. After so long, the wind started to pick up and the gathered crowd started to dissipate, the people going to the warmth of their homes to mourn the loss of their own family in private. Leravacha dismissed Isendir and the rest of the companions, and sent Hakrynsif along her way as well. The Chieftain remained standing there, alone, until the body on the pyre was only ash.