6.

They found their treasure, but the Warden was only moments behind.

Zero was already out of the hole when Pendanski appeared, holding a flashlight.

He froze. He was like a frightened rabbit, wide eyes fixated on Pendanski, and Stanley wished that he'd been the first one to climb out of the hole, or that they were both still in the hole together.

Pendanski's eyes lingered on Zero, and Stanley clenched his fists, feeling white hot rage blaze through him.

And then the lizards came.

They waited, and waited, and finally Pendanski suggested just shooting them.

"Who?" a counselor asked. "The lizards or the kids?"

Pendanski's eyes seemed to glow in the dark, and Stanley had the sickening feeling that he was imagining exactly what he'd like to do with Zero.

He looked at Zero, who was still sitting stiff and rigid, far more afraid of Pendanski than the lizards.

Look at me, Stanley thought, and indeed Zero's head did turn fractionally towards him. His face was pale and his mouth trembled.

Stanley wanted to give him the thumbs up, but didn't dare move his hand.

Zero seemed to understand though, and they shared a tiny half smile.

The sun came up, and Stanley felt the force of its rays on his tired skin.

"Stanley," Zero whispered. "Is your last name your first name backwards?"

Stanley stared at him for a moment, and was nodding slowly when the sound of cars approaching the camp cut through the dusty air.

"You think it's them?" the Warden asked.

"It ain't the Girl Scouts selling cookies," Mr Sir replied.

Stanley ignored them, his gaze fixed on Zero, whose mouth was tight with pain as he pressed his palms against his thighs.

The car doors slammed shut, then a woman Stanley didn't know was addressing him, telling him she'd get them out of there.

Stanley hoped so. He wasn't sure how much longer Zero could hold on.

Stanley closed his eyes, leaning his head back against the dirt wall. His legs were going to give way any second.

"This wouldn't have happened if you'd released him to me yesterday," the woman, his lawyer he'd realised, said.

"This wouldn't have happened if he wasn't a thief!" the Warden exclaimed, and he cracked one eye open to look at her, but found himself looking at Pendanski instead.

And he didn't like the way Pendanski was looking at Zero. Not at all.

Ignoring any sense of caution whatsoever, Stanley pulled himself out of the hole by his arms. He heard the lizards scrambling underneath him, trying to find the shade at the bottom of the hole.

He winced, trying to ignore the sudden rush of pins and needles that fled down his legs, and reached for Zero, pulling him up by the hand, supporting him as he stumbled on numb legs.

His arm was around Zero's waist, holding him up, and he glared daggers at Pendanski, whose eyes were still fixed on Zero.

The Warden rushed towards them, trying to take the suitcase they'd found from Zero, but Zero clutched it so tight Stanley suspected he couldn't have let it go even if he'd wanted to.

"It belongs to Stanley," he said. He showed them the faded black letters, printed on the battered leather.

"See? Stanley Yelnats."

Pendanski stared at them.

"But he can't read," he said.

Zero said nothing, but leaned against Stanley very slightly, his eyes defiant as he stared back at Pendanski.

And Stanley was proud.