Chapter 2

Alvajay looked at the items that lay in her hands. The only ties she had to her past life...

The first object was a small wooden dragon statue, one that her father had carved and given to her as her 6th birthday present. The small dragon fit in the palm of her hand and its once rigid edges had become smooth over the years. The next object was a small device that fit in her hand, an MP3 player she believed it was called. It was a metal square with buttons and it had an accompanying item, headphones? She grasped at half- forgotten memories. Her mother had given this to her, it played music. However the small square wouldn't play music if the headphone things were not plugged in, and it was much different music than the kind that was played here.

The last item was a... watch. Yes, that was that it was called. It was small with a small clock and a thin black band that encircled her wrist when she put it on, but she didn't dare wear it around the castle grounds. If anyone saw it could be taken away.

She sighed as she looked at the items each in turn. She stroked the small dragons back, like she had done when she was a child. These were the last things that connected her to her past, to her parents, siblings, and earth. She had so often longed to go back there, and she was so close.

As soon as she found the ancient spell book she would be gone, she knew a bit of magic, though she certainly wasn't attuned to it. So she had a mage lined up. She would go back home and find her parents, she might even be able to find a job, if she could find a King or Queen in need of an assassin.

She frowned. Were there Kings and Queens back on Earth? She couldn't quite remember, she remembered there was a leader, a Presider? President? What that what it was called?

She shook her head from the thoughts and put her items back in their safe, hidden space. She then proceeded to do her normal routine. She spent an hour of private weaponry practice in her personal training room. She practiced her knife throwing, her archery, her sword fighting, and her agility. When she stepped out of the training room she was exhausted, though her normal, determined expression remained on her face. Alvajay changed into her night clothes before she blew out her candles and let the darkness of sleep take her.

Alvajay woke up early in the morning the sun had yet to shine and the stars blanketed the night sky. King Trice was to arrive today for the Banquet. He was a feared Tyrant, the ruler of the Trevilon empire. King Trice was feared throughout the land, he had taken over several kingdoms in the past few years, and his soldiers and warriors were the best in the land. Alvajay desperately wanted to know what he would be doing here.

She quickly dressed in her morning training attire, a black tunic trimmed in gold, and thick black leggings. She ate a quick breakfast in her rooms before she walked outside to the palace gardens. She looked up at the stars that dusted the inky darkness and a sense of calm filled her, she wondered if these were the same stars that Earth gazed at.

She walked until she was at the very centre of the gardens, where a circle of grass dwelled. Alvajay sat down in the very centre and relaxed. She took a few deep breaths and let her mind drift with the breeze.

When Byron arrived for his morning training colors were bleeding into the sky. Alvajay stood and turned to face him.

"Good, you're on time." Byron looked quite wary of her this morning, good, she thought. It means he learned his lesson.

"Byron." She addressed him. " I may have been too harsh on you last night. If I caused you any distress I apologize. It is important that you listen though, and I hope you learned your lesson." Byron was looking at the ground.

"I understand.... Consider the lesson learned." He looked up and gave her a weak smile. She gave him the slightest of smiles, and after seeing that his mood brightened immensely.