TWENTY EIGHT

Dani's eyes widened as she quickly looked around the open space, and ran over to a large wooden column once she found one to hide behind. Just as she could hear him getting closer to reaching the attic, something in her brain clicked, and she mentally slapped herself for being so stupid.

The gun.

She'd brought a damn gun!!

As Henry got closer and closer, Dani brought her hands down to search for the holster, only to let out a gasp of shock as she came up empty-handed.

It wasn't there.

"No. No, no, no, no, no, this can't be happening!!" she whispered as she slowly started to panic.

Her breathing hitched as she could hear and feel the floor creaking from beneath her feet.

He'd made it.

"Oh, Little Red, where could you be hiding, my dear? Why would you run away from me? I thought you said we were perfect together," Henry mocked before spitting out in a bitter tone.

Dani looked around for a weapon and huffed in frustration as she found none.

"Come out and fight me like a real woman, you fake little coward!!" Henry then spat. "Or maybe I'll just go after that father of yours and finish him off...just as I did your grandmother..."

The spark of confidence came suddenly as Dani's jaw clenched in anger at his words. Slowly, she came out from her hiding spot to see Henry with his back turned.

"Hey, Henry," she called out to him and watched as his ears perked up before he turned around to face her with a smirk.

"Oh, there you are...I guess mentioning that pathetic grandmother of yours did the trick," he snarled.

Dani's jaw clenched again at the mention of her grandmother.

"You want to fight?... Come get me," she said while walking towards him.

Instantly, Henry copied her actions before they launched themselves at each other and fell to the floor. It was easy for Dani to gain the upper hand as she fell on top of him and punched him as hard as she could, and her confidence increased with every pain-filled groan that came out of the wolf's mouth.

"This is for my grandmother, you pretentious bastard!!" she exclaimed as she wrapped her hands around his throat and raised his head before slamming it down on the ground and punching him again in his face.

Henry yelled out in pain before Dani screamed as he roughly flipped her onto her back.

"How foolish of you to think you could beat me!!" he said and punched her in the face.

A loud cry left Dani's mouth as she used all of her strength to try to push him off of her.

"You come to my home thinking you could end me?! Then you use my feelings for you against me!" Henry spat as he raised Dani up by the neck, which caused her to gasp out as she choked on her breath.

Dani could feel her body weakening as Henry closed his hand tighter and tighter.

"You pathetic little wench!! You are nothing, do you hear me?!" he spat as Dani cried out again when he squeezed harder. "Nothing would make me happier in this world than to-"

Henry's words were cut off by the floorboards creaking loudly beneath his feet, which caused him to look down in confusion. Dani's heart dropped as she suddenly felt them both fall through the attic and onto the first floor. She breathed in as much air as she could after he was forced to let her go, only to cry out in absolute agony as she hit the hard wooden floor beneath her and landed roughly on her stomach. A flash of pain rushed through her lower half as she tried to get up, which made her look down with widened eyes to see that her leg had bent into an unnatural position. Looking over to her left, Dani was met with the unconscious body of Henry Wolff as he lay beside her, but a feeling of dread washed over her as she noticed it.