A Cat Person

"So, you want to come into work with me to tell everyone?" Jay asked Madison over breakfast.

"Yeah." Madison said confidently.

"I'll talk to Voight about you helping out as well." Jay said, taking the last drink of his coffee.

"I've just got to grab my laptop then I'm ready." Madison said, taking her empty cereal bowl to the sink.

"Let's go then." Jay said, standing up and clipping his badge onto his jeans.

----------

"Come in." Voight called as Jay knocked on his office door.

"Hey Sarge, this is Madison. Maddie, this is Sargent Voight." Jay introduced them.

"Thank you for everything you and your unit did for me yesterday." Maddie said.

"It's no problem kid." Voight said.

"We were thinking because Maddie is gonna be spending a lot of time around here anyway she could help Ruzek with the tech side of things." Halstead said.

"Call it work experience." Maddie added.

"I don't see why not." Voight said with a small nod. "Jay'll get you set up on the spare desk." Voight said to Maddie.

Half an hour later and the rest of the unit began showing up, almost everyone asking Jay about Madison.

"Your still here." Ruzek stated, noticing Madison as he sat down. "Does that mean your taking over the computer stuff."

"It looks like it." Madison said with a smile.

"Voight's letting her fill in when she's not at school." Jay said. 

"Can I ask, why did you foster her?" Dawson asked.

"I think some of you might know my brother." Madison said, smirking at Jay as she waited for the unit to catch on.

"As soon as I met Maddie, I thought I recognised her, some of the things she does was too familiar." Jay added.

"You're Mouse's sister?" Burgess asked, Maddie nodded.

"Who's Mouse?" Upton asked, being the only member of the unit to have never met Mouse.

"I served in the Rangers with him and got him a job here as our civilian tech guy." Jay explained.

"If she's half as good as her brother was we're set." Ruzek said.

"As long as she's better than you." Burgess said.

"That's not hard." Atwater interjected.

"Hey!" Ruzek protested.

"He is right, you couldn't even trace a phone's last ping." Madison said.

"Ouch." Burgess said, holding her hand out for Madison to high five.

"So what can you do?" Dawson asked. "Ruzek needs some time to lick his wounds."

"I can do the majority of what professional tech analysts can do. One of my old foster dads worked for NYPD and he taught me most of what I know." Madison explained as she logged onto her laptop. "Since then, I've taught myself a few tricks." She said, typing. "Like Adam, if you would please look at your phone." She said, everyone's eyes landing on Adam as he turned his phone on to discover his lock screen had been changed to a picture of a cat.

"I never knew you were a cat person." Dawson said with a smirk.

"I swear that's almost exactly what Mouse did to Voight." Atwater said.

"Yeah, but he chose a picture of himself." Ruzek said, going through his phone trying to change the background back.

"Let me help you with that." Madison said, pressing a few more keys to reset his background.

"Thanks." Ruzek said sarcastically. 

"I can change it back if you want." Madison said with a smirk.

----------

"So, I've been thinking about your school." Jay said, leaning against Maddies desk whilst the rest of the unit were out getting lunch.

"Okay." Maddie said, looking up from her computer. "Am I going to have to go back to my old school? I didn't really get on with anyone, I was a bit of an outcast."

"Theres a pretty good high school inbetween here and my place so if I can't drop you off or pick you up its like a ten minute bus ride either way." Jay explained.

"Sure." Maddie said with a nod.

"I'll go and ring them, see when you can start." Jay said, heading back to his desk and grabbing his phone before going into the break room.

A few minutes later, Jay walked back out. "So?" Maddie asked.

"You can start on monday, they're emailing me the options for your classes." Jay said.

"I'm on it." Maddie said, quickly logging into his emails.

"They recommended that you pick subjects you did at your old school." Jay added.

"Okay." Maddie said, scrolling through the email. "Well that's easy." Maddie said, a few minutes later after looking at the options they had sent her.

"Something computer related?" Jay asked, looking up from his paperwork.

"Yup, computer science, spanish, gym and media." Maddie said. "It's what I took at my old school anyway."

"I didn't know you spoke spanish." Jay said.

"Si, un poco." Maddie said. "One of my old foster mums was half Puerto Rican."

Authors note: A bit of a shorter chapter.