Nine: Hold On

I know that they're following me. Crap, how can I get to the hospital. Sora's meant to be taking me home!

I hear a flip phone close.

"Kuri, there is a limo coming for you" Kyoya states. "It'll be here in a few minutes."

"Are you going to be okay on your own?" the Hitachiin's ask. I nod.

"I can't let you leave the party. You're the hosts!" the three boys chuckle at my comment.

"I didn't mean it like that." I murmur.

"Kuri?" Sora!

"Hi." I mutter.

"It's your dad, isnt it?" my best friend embraces me, ignoring the hosts.

"That's why you're out here." Cho adds.

"He hasn't..." Yui asks

"No!" Hikaru and Karou reply after a long sigh.

"Here it comes." Kyoya states.

"I'm coming with you."

"No." I refuse.

"Yes I am. I told you that I wouldn't let you face this alone. " Sora gives my hand a squeaze.

"Kuri? Sora?" Cho and Yui ask.

"Stay." I instruct.

"You should have fun." Sora adds. The two of us get into the limo.

"Take them to the Ootori hospital. The one near Yamachi airport." Kyoya instructs.

"Yes Mr Ootori." the driver replies.

"He moved?" I cock a brow. Too bad Kyoya's gone.

The limo gets moving.

An air of silence takes over the limo. It's so oninous that you can cut the fear with a knife.

Sora doesn't say anything. This is the most afraid I have ever seen her. She has a firm hold of my hand. Our knuckles are white. We're terrified.

Yamachi airport is a mere half an hour away from Ouran Academy. It's where most of the monstrocities that the host club order are shipped to so that the school's delivery staff can collect it.

We just sit.

My fears are attacking me as I play a stoic facade.

You could hear a penny drop in this limo.

I stare straight ahead. Please don't let this be it.

"This won't be." Sora leans over and hugs me.

"Did I say that out loud?" I ask.

"No. But I know how you think." she smiles weakly.

"We're going to look so stupid at the hospital, since we're in gowns." I muse, trying to lighten the mood.

Didn't work. Dammit.

"I reckon Hikaru and Karou are going to be out of Ouran faster than the guests can say 'bye'." Sora states.

"If our families aren't on their way then I would be astounded." I nod.

"I shot my mum a text when you weren't looking. It will take her and dad a while but they're on their way." Sora replies.

"Hikaru and Karou will have been told by their parents." I add.

We stop moving.

"We're here Miss Peony." the driver says.

"Thank you, sir." the two of us climb out and bow before him.

"At least these gowns are Hitachiin." Sora giggles.

We head inside.

I am crushed in a hug.

"Kuri, honey!" My mum wails, stroking my hair.

"He's okay, right?" I ask.

"He passed out. We were getting on our plane. He fainted." Mum gabbles. "You didn't need to come."

"Hikaru and Karou told us that something had happened." I explain.

"Of course they did." Mrs Hitachiin smiles warmly.

"He was coming home." Mum's crying.

"This won't be it Mrs Peony." Sora assures. "He's too stubborn."

"Sora!" her mother snaps.

"Sora's right." I defend.

"He has fight in him." Mr Hitachiin states. "I've known him for about thirty years. He's not going to let THIS stop him."

"He's awake now." a nurse states.

"They got his doctor to come from the other hospital." Mum smiles through tears.

"Mr Ootori! Will it be okay to let his visitors in?" the nurse asks the man passing by. It's clearly Ootori Yuuichi.

"Kyoya's brother." Sora asks.

"Kyoya's brother." I nod.

"I don't see why not. Don't crowd him." Kyoya's brother is in a rush.

We make our way into my dad's room.

"Oh Ace!" my mum wails, falling to her knees. She's pretty overdramatic. Not that I blame her for being fearful. "Everybody's here now."

"Ace, you okay buddy?" Mr Hitachiin asks. Dad nods once.

"Why's my Miyoko so dressed up?" Dad's voice is strained and raspy.

"We were at a party when we found out and rushed over." Sora explains after a glance from me.

"You two didn't have to come. I would have rather not had you here, seeing me in such a state but thank you for being here all the same." Dad smiles.

"No way I wasn't coming!" I retort. "You're my dad!"

"Kuri..." Dad trails off.

"I thought you had given up." I admit.

"No way." he vows. I take my dad's hand.

"Hold on." I order.

"I will." he smiles. I return the smile.

"Wow, she can smile genuinely."

"He cancelled the party didn't he?" Sora asks.

"The ladies won't even notice that we're gone." Tamaki assures.

"You didn't have to." I murmur. I try to glare at the heir to the Suoh family's estate. It doesn't work. Why did I have to be so glad that they're here with me. I had better not be developing a crush.

"We wanted to be here for you." Tamaki smiles at me.

"All of us did." Kyoya nods. I glance away from the hosts, feeling awkward.

Shit.