Chapter Three

On Sunday morning, Nya woke Kai up with breakfast and a wide smile.

"Uh, hey." Kai rubbed his eyes, yawning. He glanced at the plate of food and frowned. "Alright, alright, what do you want?"

"What do you mean?" Nya asked innocently. "I just made you breakfast, that's all."

"You're gonna ask me for something. Why else would you make me breakfast?" Kai smirked, poking at the small bowl of rice. "Come on, I'm not dad. What's up?"

"Well, um..." Nya twiddled her fingers. "I was thinking of going over to Jay's house."

Kai blinked. "Jay? Did I hear you correctly? Nah, you said Skylor's house, right?"

Nya pursed her lips. "No. I said Jay's house."

"Why do you wanna go over there? It's not like you guys are close or anything."

"Actually, we are." Nya rolled her eyes up to the ceiling and sighed heavily. "I'm not gonna stay there for very long. His parents insisted on making us lunch, but I'll be back before you go to work."

"Alright. How do you plan on getting to his house?" Kai rose his brows. "Doesn't he live half an hour away from here?"

"... He has a car. He's picking me up."

"I'm not letting you get in the car with him." Kai frowned. "Either have his parents drive or you're taking my bike. Or he walks here and walks you back home."

"You're being so unfair!" Nya snapped. Before Kai could say anything else, she grabbed her phone and stormed out of the room.

Kai sat in silence for a moment, stunned. Nya rarely acted out like that. Had he said something wrong?

No. It was whatever Harumi said to her. Nya couldn't hide her emotions for long, and now it was really showing.

Taking a deep breath, Kai finished his egg and rice and took the plates to the kitchen. Nya was sitting at the table, scrolling through her phone and hiding her face.

"I'm sorry." Kai spoke up, breaking the silence.

"It's fine." She mumbled quickly, typing something on her phone.

Kai rubbed the back of his neck. "Um. Did you tell him-"

"Yes." She answered, putting down her phone. "His parents are driving."

"Oh. Good." Kai shifted awkwardly on his feet. "Um. You didn't tell him why, did you?"

"Of course I told him why." Nya said nonchalantly. "I can't just tell him you don't want me to get in the car with him for no reason at all. Obviously I had to bring up the dead parents."

"Nya-" Kai started, moving towards her.

"He's going to be here soon." Nya interrupted him, furiously wiping tears away with her sleeve. "I should wait outside."

"Nya, listen to me-" Kai took her arm.

"Get off of me!" Nya hissed, pulling her arm back. "Why can't you trust me anymore? You don't take my word for anything!"

"Because I have to be the adult now, Nya!" Kai snapped. "I have to protect you!"

"No you don't!"

"Yes, I do!" Kai pulled her in, holding her by the shoulders. "Nya, listen, I don't want you to get hurt, all because I let you roam free!"