Chapter Five

(Trigger warning: mention of child abuse. I'll put this [*] when it comes up)

Nya watched Jay's solo from behind the curtain, smiling to herself. A part of her wished she was Frenchy, knowing that Those Magic Changes was also a little serenade to Doody's love interest. Then again, she wouldn't have the opportunity of having a solo, and Nya knew deep down she'd hate being shoved in the corner. Especially knowing that Harumi would constantly shove her role in everyone's faces.

Nobody puts Nya in a corner. She shook her head, making a face. I watch too many movies...

They hadn't finished the blocking for the scene, but Garmadon wanted Jay to sing once more. He knew how much Jay loved singing in front of an audience, even though he tried to hide it; he was a natural performer.

"My heart arranges a melody..."

Nya practically melted, utterly in love and sinking against the wall. Perhaps it was a good thing she wasn't in this scene; she'd practically faint every time. The only good thing about Harumi being Frenchy was the fact that she had to be on stage in this scene; if she caught Nya swooning over Jay, the teasing would be brutal.

Nya felt her heart ache a little. Would she even be able to get through this? She knew that Harumi was only trying to get into her head and attempt to drive her out of the role, but her words still hurt. It also didn't help that she knew Nya had a crush on Jay.

Nya peered through the curtains, watching Harumi's fake lovey-dovey face with a brow raised. I see how you act in front of Lloyd all the time, honey. That is the fakest smile I've ever laid eyes on. You aren't fooling anyone, and I thought you were an actress.

Nya took a deep breath, collecting herself. No need to become a Harumi clone. She focused on Jay's voice, his sweet yet strong vocals.

"Oh-h! My darling..."

"God, I love him." She whispered to herself.

"I see." Someone's voice appeared behind her.

"Ah!" Nya hissed, nearly tripping over a bench. "Shit, what the-"

"Oh, I'm sorry." Nya instantly recognized the voice as Zane's, even before he stepped out to the light. "I didn't mean to overhear. I was just waiting for my cue."

"H-How long were you standing there?" Nya felt her face heat up as she plopped onto the bench.

"Since the start of the song."

"God..." Nya dropped her head in her hands. "Pretend you didn't hear me, please."

"There's no need to feel ashamed, Nya. But if you insist, my lips are sealed." He gave her a genuine smile.

Nya smiled back. No wonder why Pixal liked him so much.

"Hey, sit down with me." She patted the seat next to her. "You got any gossip to trade?"

Zane took the seat. "Lots. I'm more of a listener than a talker." His face suddenly flushed. "Oh, but I'm not one to share if I know it'll harm someone. I just... know."

Nya stared blankly. "Oh, wow. Um, good to know?"

"Believe me, I'm not... Never mind." He shook his head. "Alright. I'm sure you want to know something about Harumi."

"No, I'm not one for revenge or blackmail." She laughed. "I was actually wondering about-"

"Jay?"