Chapter One

*10 months ago*

Raquel

I sat in the upscale restaurant in complete shock. I couldn't believe what my boyfriend Derek was telling me. We've been together for 3 years now and I was completely convinced we would be together forever.

"I'm sorry Raq, but I just can't marry you, or probably anyone for that matter. I just don't think I'm the marrying type." said Derek. "My career is finally taking off and right now I really don't have time for a family." He continued.

I couldn't believe he was saying this. I thought he asked me to dinner tonight to finally ask the question that I've been waiting to answer for 2 years now. I thought he was finally ready to take our relationship to the next step and start a family with me. As I sat there in shock looking around the restaurant I noticed a face that I hadn't seen in a while. It was Chris, my sister's brother in law. I haven't seen him since he was 18 at my sister's wedding and wow the years have surely been kind to him. Chris was always handsome, but the man in front of me was not the smooth talking little 18 year old boy from 5 years ago. In front of me was a sexy man whose presence commanded respect. Chris got a lot taller, buffer, and is now covered in tattoos that just make him ten times more sexier. He was standing in the waiting area of the restaurant with a beautiful woman with a huge ass and big breasts. She looked so fake and it was obvious that she'd had some work done to achieve her figure. As Chris and his Barbie doll were being escorted to their table he noticed me and began to walk towards our table.

"Rocky!" he exclaimed, calling me by that terrible nickname. "I haven't seen you in forever! How you been girl?"

"I've been great Chris! How are you?"

"I think I've been doing better than you." he murmured as he thoroughly searched her face. "Are you sure you're okay? You look pale."

"I'm fine, I'm fine! This is... my good friend Derek, Derek this is Chris! He's my sister's husband's brother."

Derek shook Chris's hand while Chris looked between Derek and me skeptically.

"This is Maliah, she's a friend of mine." Chris said.

"A friend?!" exclaimed Maliah

"Chill out." hissed Chris. "Well it was really nice seeing you again Rocky, I'll see you soon."

"It was nice seeing you too Chris. Have a nice night." I said with a smile.

Chris and his friend Mariah? Melanie? Maya? walked away and sat at their table that happened to be next to ours. I turned back to Derek to continue the conversation at hand. I thought back to all the times that Derek had to stay late at work in the past couple of months.

"Is there someone else?" I asked in a whisper.

"No baby! Of course not! I just need time to get myself together and establish myself at the hospital. This has nothing to do with another woman."

"So that's it?! This is over?! Three years down the drain?!" I exclaimed louder than I intended.

Chris looked up at Derek and me, and didn't even try to disguise the fact that he was listening to our conversation. I was making a scene. I was so embarrassed, here I was in public near tears over a man who didn't love me.

"Calm down Raq." Said Derek as he tried to soothe me.

When he reached over to grab my hand, I jerked my hand back and ending up sending my wine glass and plate crashing to the floor. Some of the restaurant's staff rushed over to clean up the mess and I stood up horrified. I rushed to the bathroom and asked the hostess to call a cab before I went inside. I sat inside the restroom on one of the sofas. An older white woman came out of the stall and looked at me sadly. Suddenly Chris rushed into the restroom and the old lady yelled in shock. Chris looked at me with sadness in his eyes and sat on the sofa with me. He suddenly pulled me into a hug and I began to cry into his strong chest as he rubbed my back soothingly.

"What are you doing in here Chris?" I asked.

Out of nowhere the old lady came over to us and shouted "You can't be in here, sir!"

"I just want to comfort my friend, would you mind leaving us alone for a minute?" said Chris with a huge charming smile, his dimple deep.

The older lady swooned and left the restroom in a hurry.

"I beat his ass up Rocky." said Chris with a small smile.

"Did you make him cry?" I asked through my tears with a small smile also.

"Like a lil bitch!" said Chris and we both burst into laughter.

After a while I became sad again and began to cry.

"I wish you would stop trying to make me laugh while I'm trying to cry."

"Well I'd wish you'd stop trying to cry while I'm trying to make you laugh" he said with a smirk. "He's obviously a bitch nigga Rocky. You're too beautiful to be wasting your tears him."

"Thanks Chris."

"Do you need a ride home?"

"No, I asked the hostess to call a cab, and I'm sure your "girlfriend" is waiting for you" I giggled.

"There you go assuming again Rocky. You and I both know that's not my girl."

As he said that the door swung open and the hostess walked in to inform me my cab was here. Chris and I stood up and he held me in a long hug. As he let me go he left a long, lingering kiss on my forehead.

"It was really great seeing you Rocky." He said, but he looked at me like he wanted to say much more.

"It was nice seeing you too. Thanks for taking care of me Chris. Bye." I left him with another hug and headed to the cab. I couldn't believe how tonight had gone. I can't believe after three years Derek decided to suddenly dump me. I headed home and pulled out all my cleaning supplies and gloves. I'm a bit of a neat freak, and when I'm upset I tend to go overboard. I rubbed my eyes and got to work. Doesn't look like I'm going to be getting any sleep tonight.