7

You want to get rid off me?

Fine.

But I'll get rid off you first.

A single word from him would be enough.

I could tell that the word got closer to leave his mouth every time he looked at me. Eren was bound to lose at least one of us. But which one? Both me and the blond waited for the first move. And then it came.

One night when I went to my room, to collect sleep that would only make me more tired, it happened. Maybe I'd misunderstood the whole thing. Maybe the glares was an effect of the longer running session. Maybe he didn't see me as guilty. In that case we could continue the act of being normal. I wished so much for that to happen. Of course he deserved a chance with being ignorant. I didn't know yet. Innocent until proven guilty.

"I need to tell you something, Eren." The voice from the other side of the wall made rapidly stopped my pace.

Kill the snitch before it's too late.

I shook my head. No, those words aren't meant for me. I should go.

My leg only had time to stretch forward in a single step, before he continued. "It's about Levi." My body froze again. Those words weren't meant for me, but they were about me.

We can't let him know.

Breathing seemed impossible. Armin wouldn't do that.

He's going to ruin everything.

"What is it?" I heard another voice say. Would he ever trust someone if he found out what I did? "I know that you're going to be upset, but I need you to hear me out. I think he has done something horrible."

Can't he see that I did it for them?

YOU CAN'T LET HIM DO THIS.

"And what would that be Armin?"

Without thinking I knocked on the door.

Stop him.

Idiot. What a convenience that I come into the room when my dirty secret is about to spill. My heart beated too fast and there was way too much sweat on my neck. Both of them ceased to sound. "Come in." Why did it sound like a question? My hand wrapped tightly around the handle as I turned it around, and walked into the room. My hands gripped my legs in an attempt to stop their shakings. With a smile plastered on my face, I met Armin's panicked features. Eren only showed confusion.

"I read through the essay you have until tomorrow." I took a deep breath before I kept going. "It's really great Armin, but I would like to speak about some changes." But the blond boy sat frozen in the bed, while ocean eyes followed the scene. "Sorry if I'm bothering you. I know it's late, and I heard you talking about something. It will be fast I promise." That sentence satisfied Eren enough to turn around to his friend as he copied my smile. "Go on Arms, school's important as you always say."

Great, now we need him gone.

Armin's shaking legs followed me out from the room and into the kitchen.

"So where's the essay?" He was terrified. Of me.

At that very moment I dropped every last hope of him not knowing.

It's now or never.

I had no response for him as my hands gripped around his throat. Strangled screams escaped him but soon stopped as my palm covered his mouth. He tried pushing me away. The voices kept screaming.

In the end he was too weak, but I was the one who lacked strength.

Because when he took his final breath and the voices left me, I realised that I was alone.

I had listened to the devil in my mind, and as punishment Eren stood at the doorway.

He stared at the body.

No.

I wasn't alone, and yet I'd never felt so lonely.