5 Days Before...

I looked at the mirror in order to assess my outfit for the evening. I wasn't wearing anything particularly bright, but my look was classy all the same. I'd worn a black strapless evening gown, paired up with my favourite Manolo pumps. The jewellery that I'd opted for wasn't particularly flashy either-just a pair of platinum hoops.

Once I was satisfied with my makeup, I picked up my clutch and made sure that I'd taken everything I'd need for the night out.

It was an important night for me. The whole of the office staff had been invited by Ernst and Young to watch the hit Broadway musical, 'The Phantom of the Opera'.

I had visited New York a bunch of times as a child. Even at a young age, I had been completely awestruck by the sheer talent on display at the Broadway musicals.

When I moved here, a few years back I'd made a resolution to watch a new Broadway show every few months. Although I'd fulfilled this desire of mine when I was still at university, ever since I'd started working at Ernst and Young, I never quite found the time to indulge in such entertainment.

So, naturally, I was really excited to attend a Broadway show after such a long time, especially one which I'd enjoyed thoroughly as a fresher in college.

'The Phantom of the Opera' was one of the oldest running Broadway musicals in New York. I'd watched it before, but tonight was going to be different because in order to commemorate the show's thirtieth anniversary, all the members of the audience were to wear formals or dress up like the characters in the play. Masks were compulsory as well. The whole plan was just an attempt by our HR division to ease the stress we had gone through over the last few weeks.

I hadn't spent much time on my costume because I'd been too busy working, but I still had the mask I'd worn to my senior prom. It was perfect for tonight's event! After all, the entire management team was to be present at the venue, and I couldn't go there dressed shabbily.

I picked up the mask which I'd kept on the table earlier and gathered the keys to my flat. I made my way to the door and then locked it after stepping out.

The cab which was to drive me to Majestic Theatre had already arrived downstairs. After all, the theatre district was really close to my office, bang on Times Square. I didn't really want to drive all the way there again. Hence, I'd requested for a taxi from the office, and thankfully, they'd obliged.

I took the elevator to the ground floor and got into the taxi as quickly as I could.

"Good evening ma'am. So, where can I drop you off?" The middle-aged driver asked as soon as I'd settled down comfortably on the seat.

"44th street, please." I answered politely.

"Right, 44th street it is." He said, as he started the car and then directed the car to the road that led to MidTown Manhattan.

It took us about twenty-five minutes to reach, since the traffic was relatively smooth.

As soon as we reached the theatre, I wasted no time in getting out of the car after thanking the driver. If the car stopped for more than a few seconds near the crowded entrance, we'd be holding up the onslaught of cars and creating a mess in the process.

While I was adjusting my dress, I heard the sound of a few footsteps approaching me.

"Nandini! You're here! Wow! You look absolutely gorgeous!" I heard a high pitched feminine voice say, enthusiastically.

I smiled as I realised who it was.

"Thanks Annelise!" I answered cheerfully, as I saw her give me a pleasant smile.