Chapter 6

Elise was starting to wonder if the protections she'd set up to keep herself and her house safe were still reliable. First it had been Damien who had entered without a problem and now she found another strange guest in her reading room when she walked downstairs that morning.

The man was a sight to behold since he was a man of many colours. He had his back turned to her when she first saw him from her stairs, and even as she stood in the entrance of the room, the first thing she noticed was his hair. The stark contrast between the white hairs on the right side of his head against the black on his left surprised her.

"What the..." she whispered, but it was loud enough for the strange man to hear her.

As he spun to face her, she was even more startled because although his left eye was an electric blue, his right reminded her very much of Damien's eyes, for the amber colour was eerily similar. That's when it clicked.

"You're a reaper," she stated, and he clicked his tongue at her words.

"Very observant of you, but not quite," the stranger said when he once again turned away from her, scanning the room as though he was looking for something. "Right now I'm a depleted reaper and barely a reaper at all. I'm looking for the reaper who took my powers."

Elise could guess who he was talking about, but would Damien do such a thing? "Why would you let me know I'd have power over you?" she asked instead.

"Because you don't fear me, nor do you seem to fear any reaper," he said while turning to face her once more. "He's been here, hasn't he? Tell me what you know."

Elise felt like a deer caught in headlights and she hadn't even known the man for five minutes.

"I, uh... I don't really know anything," she said honestly. "He's only come by a few times for readings."

His eyes seemed to clear in understanding. "Readings. Of course. You're a witch, that's why I can feel this weird force around me." He could feel her wards of protection even as a reaper not at full power? Elise wondered how powerful he must be at full power and swallowed nervously. "What did he have the readings for?"

Elise shrugged her shoulders. "He was very vague, there's not much I can tell you. All he asked the cards was whether he'd succeed in his venture."

She frowned, realising she was more curious than ever about this undertaking of Damien's, especially now this man had appeared.

"And he didn't tell you what this venture was?" he asked; Elise shook her head. "Is there anything else you can tell me?"

Elise's mind went back to Damien's weakened state, but she shook her head again without a second thought. "No."

The man nodded, not suspecting her whatsoever. "All right. I'll be back to see if he returns at some point; thank you for your help. Goodbye."

Elise stepped aside as the stranger left and was about to ask him if he wanted a way to contact him should she need to when she realised a reaper without powers likely had limited ways to be contacted.

"Bye," she said instead while she watched him open the door and walk out onto the street.

As soon as he'd left, she wished she'd asked him if he'd like a reading because his situation intrigued her. A strange man looking for another strange man? There was a link between them, and Elise felt like she was also linked with the two.

It was in that moment the link between the two of them became clear to her as she recalled the first reading.

A person will come looking for you soon, and when he's close, you'll attain your goal.