chapter 6

Authors Note: So I stopped this in a weird place...I'm not to sure how I like this chapter but oh well!

Niall and I got back to the bakery about 20 minutes later and Cindy told me to take the rest of the day off. I thanked her with a hug. I let Niall pick out the pasteries he wanted to take with him and I went ahead and paid for them. We walked out of the door and started the short 15 minute journey back home. Niall decided that we would stop by the cafe and get a coffee, so I went ahead and lead the way. I saw Jackson and a bunch of new memories were brought back to the surface. I didn't realize my expression changed my face until Niall looked at me with a confused look. I was hoping Jackson wouldn't notice me, but I guess I hoped a little too soon.

"Carson, is that you?" He asked, a little suprised like I was.

"Yeah. How are you?" I asked, trying not to make it awkward.

"I'm okay. I just started my junior year in college. You graduated, right?" He asked.

"Yeah, this past year actually. Mum and dad have moved back to the states with Noah for 2 years while they work." I told him, realizing he probably hadn't found out yet.

"Oh really? That's cool. I see that the accent has rubbed off on you a little bit. Not to mention the changing of some words like 'mum'." He replied with a smile. That was the same smile I had been so used to 1 year ago, but has left my vision until today.

"Haha, yeah. I'm actually enjoying having the accent. But I'm really missing New York. I figure that once my parents get back and once I have more money saved I will take a trip back and visit John." I replied, getting a little emotional on the mention of John's name. I saw Niall tense up when I said I would go back to New York and visit John. If he only knew what I had meant by that. It was getting harder and harder to keep this from him, but I still wasn't ready to just spill my guts to a guy I haven't even known for a week. But I knew in my heart that I needed to tell him soon.

"That's good. I'm happy for you. I think visiting John would be a great thing for you to do. I wonder how your parents are doing. I might give them a call tonight. It was good seeing you. But I really need to get going. It was nice again to see you and maybe we can go out to coffee sometime and catch up. I'm sure my girlfriend wouldn't mind." He finished with a smile. It was good to hear he was doing okay in his life right now. I had been thinking about him in the last couple of days and was about to call him but I got side tracked.

"You too. I miss you bub! Yeah, I would love to get a coffee and catch up. I think it would be nice. Tell your girlfriend hi for me!" I replied, smiling and giving him a hug goodbye. I watched him wave and go find his girlfriend. She was really pretty and I recognized her to be Sam, a girl who used to be really good friends with John. It made me smile that they had gotten together. I was waiting for someone to snatch him up. 

I realized Niall was still standing with me and I decided I should explain a little to him.

"That was Jackson. I haven't seen him in about 10 months. It was good to see him. I'm sorry that we  had a little catch up moment there. I didn't mean to put you in an awkward spot." I apologized, hoping he wouldn't be too upset.

"Oh it's fine. Wanna get the coffee's now?" He asked, but I could tell he was wondering about John, New York, and Jackson. i figured I would tell him when we were able to be at my house that was private. I still wasn't sure if it was the right time to spill everything, but figured the sooner the better.

We got our coffee's and started walking again. We walked in silence, but I felt like he wanted to tell me something. I figured I would let him tell me on his own time. I didn't want to push him, knowing that I owed him for not pushing me earlier. I opened the front door with my key about 10 minutes later and realized the house was silent. I heard no sounds and I was wondering what was going on. I walked into the kitchen and found a note taped to the fridge. It read: