chapter six

Chapter 6 - My Hands Are Coated With Soap, Still Want A Handshake?

I was awakened by a slight shake on my shoulder and slowly opening my eyes, I saw Lucas. I have fallen asleep, great.

"We're here." he whispers and plasters a smile on his face. I smile back.

"Okay." He jumped out of the car, leaving me alone inside. Travis and Nathan were outside already with a girl. I saw Nathan brushing off his butt. I did some stretching after hopping out of the CRV.

I look around the surroundings.

What a mesmerizing view, I thought. It was perfectly sublime. The sea was peaceful and the sand's caramel in color. I am so in love with the horizon's beauty. I heave a deep sigh and walk closer to them. The girl greets me with a toothy smile and I quickly smile back. But then, Nathan walks closer to her snaking his arm around her waist. My eyebrows furrowed.

"Babe, this is Juliana." Nathan introduced me. Babe huh? Never knew he's in a relationship. I thought this resort was his cousin's property? I shrug as I purse my lips. Maybe this is Cole? Colton? What’s the matter with this girl’s parents? Why name a daughter a man’s name? No no. She’s Nathan’s girlfriend.

"Hi," she says, waving at me. She's wearing a yellow beach dress and her midnight black hair is tied up in a messy bun, her cognac wide-set eyes met mine, it is perfectly matched on her hollow cheeks and she's got glowing ivory skin, in five o' clock shadow. I'm just a few inches taller than her.

I nod and quickly walk towards Travis and Lucas.

"Hey," Travis called as he drew his lower lip between his teeth. I noticed a cigarette between his index and middle finger.

"Smoker."

He shrugs his shoulders then he blew off smoke coins.

"Um, come on in? I cooked breakfast." invites Nathan's girlfriend behind me. I smile as soon as I face her and nod, we follow her inside their huge cottage. Inside was luxurius. Simple yet elegant and I don't think I can call this a cottage. It's like a mansion. I can't help but to be amused. I am so stunned. Their furnitures are so beautiful and unique. Also, there's a mini fountain that mediates the living room and the kitchen. Lucas is quietly walking beside me. I can't help but smile. He's a shy guy. I think he can't even crack an egg yet he was accused killing his friend? I don't know. He caught me looking at him, "Yeah?"

"Nothing."

"Stop walking on the moon," I heard Nathan's voice behind me and Lucas and I look over my shoulder asking what does he mean.

I got his rolling eyes as a respond as if I asked a shallow question, that even a kid can answer and he walked passed between us.

Nevermind.

We reached the huge kitchen and there was a long rectangular table in the middle and foods were neatly prepared. Nathan's girlfriend invited us to take a sit.

Nathan sat beside Travis, Travis in front of me, on my left was Lucas and on my right side was Nathan's girlfriend. I’m so sure now that she’s his girl. My brows knitted for seconds, Nathan didn't even introduced his girlfriend to me. He's so kind, praise his ass. There's two types of unfamiliar dishes laid on top of the table, big bowl of plain rice laid in the middle and a pitcher of iced tea.

"I um, don't know how to cook uh–that well." Nathan's girl admitted, I secretly glance at her, then I saw her cheeks redden. "'Tis okay babe," chuckled Nathan and the corner of his eyes crinkled. "We're so hungry... we'll be fine." His tone jesting. I chuckle and so are the others. I put rice on my plate and scooped some of the brown-chicken-fish, no I don't even know, is this a meat? I placed some rice and odd dish on my spoon and I started to morsel. My eyes went round the moment I chewed. The meat or fish or whatsoever it is was so effin hard. My teeth were nearly removed on their normal places, I want to eject it from my mouth, but I hesitated. I guess it can beat a heavy metal crate's hardness. Oh good lordé. Lucas was quietly staring at his food while clenching and loosening his jaw, probably trying to chew the dish. I quickly poured iced tea on Travis'  glass after hearing him cough nonstop to the point his face went purple.

Choked.

I felt my face heat up.

"Oh my–are you alright?" squeals Nathan's girlfriend as she stood, you can hint the concern on her tone. Travis coughs again, clearing his throat this time. I saw his adam's apple raised after he swallowed then he smiled, "That was close."

We all laughed except Nathan's girlfriend. What the dirt her name is?

At last, we finished our holy food at peace but I end up eating just the rice with some of the dish' soup. I offer Nathan's girlfriend a help to wash the dishes and as for the boys, they went outside to inhale some fresh air.

I made a mental note, You gotta get out of here a little sooner and see the horizon again.

"Juliana," she calls while squeezing the sponge, making it draw more cloudy-like bubbles. I hummed in response. "You're so nice."

I was flattered, at the same time, I disapproved. "No, I'm not." I chuckle as I rinse the glasses.

She tilted her head and her lips turned into a frown. "Don't say that."

I shrug my shoulders as I look heavenward. You, don't say that. You don't even know me. I look at her direction and says, "Your boyfriend didn't even told me your name." followed by a  shake of my head.

Her cognac eyes flickered with confusion as a line appeared between her brows, "Boyfriend?"

I nod.

"I have no boyfriend!" She croak followed by a laughter that echoed all around the kitchen. She rinses her hands and turns the faucet off after.

"Nathan is your boyfriend, isn't he?" I ask as my left eyebrow arches then she violently shakes her head, and in to my surprise her neck didn’t break.

Wiping her wet hands on her dress, she says. "No! He is my cousin." she spoke in between her laughter.

"So you are Colton?" I asked in disbelief, I can feel my eyes so big at this moment. I want to meet her parents, Colton for their daughter's name? Really.

"Ah!" she squeals in between her laughter as she bends down a little while her left hand holding her stomach and the other hand harshly hitting her lap.

"What?"

"Colton is my cousin too," she states after she calms herself down. "My name's Babe Ann Ross, supposedly, it should be Vivian Ross but Vivian is such a common name." she says and offers her hand for a handshake and her mouth curves into a smile. "Nice meeting you Juliana."

Babe Ann Ross... Babe? Oh. I thought she's Nathan's girlfriend and babe was their endearment. I felt a little embarassment with myself.

I look at her hand that is hovered in front of me, then I shift my gaze back on her eyes, and shrug as a sign of decline to her offer.

"My hands are coated with soap, still want a handshake?"