A Piggy-Back Ride

Daryl had insisted on helping me outside so that I could eat with everyone else, before he got me settled in our tent, yes our. Apparently I had been rooming with this strange... but very kind man since I joined the group. Any who, it was incredibly difficult to get outside, since even the slightest pressure on my left leg sent pain shooting up it. I really wish I had thought to pack crutches, but that was the only thing I had failed to get.

Glenn... the Korean boy, he promised to go on a run to get them for me, since it would be six months before I was out of this cast, and I'm sure even Daryl would get tired of carrying me around for that long. Anyway, once Daryl managed to get me down to the camp, he put me in one of those folding camping chairs, and then went to go get us some food from the woman who lost her daughter, uh, Carol. I still can't believe I knew all of these people. And well, Daryl says. I have never been close to this many people in my entire life.

"Um, guys." Glenn said, after about twenty minutes of comfortable conversation, pretty much just everyone reintroducing themselves to me.

"So... the barn is full of walkers." Even I knew that wasn't good. No one said anything, they just looked between Glenn and the barn in shock, before, like they all have one mind, everyone got up and started racing over to the barn. Daryl took two steps before turning around to look at me. He then walked over, helped me stand up, and then turned his back to me, and crouched down.

"Come on, hop." Yes, sir. After a few awkward adjustments, and me making sure not to choke Daryl, and having to remind him that he can't touch my calf so he has to grip my thigh, we were off, down the hill towards the barn. It didn't take very long to catch up, Daryl must be really strong because he didn't even seem winded by the time we got there. And then he crouched again, to let me down, and wrapped his arm around my waist to hold me up.

Shane was peeking through the cracks of the door, trying to see inside, while everyone else stood back near where Daryl and I were, but the growling made everyone step a few feet back, and made Shane come running back over to talk to Rick.

"You cannot tell me you're all right with this!"

"No. I'm not, but we're guests here. This isn't our land."

"This is our lives!"

"Lower your voice." Glenn hissed, looking over at the doors that were rattling against the chain, and I couldn't help but notice Daryl tensing up, like he was ready to grab me and go.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug."A Andrea hissed, looking between Rick, Shane, and the farmhouse.

"It ain't right. Not remotely." Shane growled.

"Okay, we've either got to go in there, we've got to make things right or we've just got to go. Now we've been talking about Fort Benning for a long time." Shane said, looking at everyone now, trying to get us on his side.

"We can't go." Rick hissed, glancing at Lori.

"Why, Rick? Why?"

"Because my daughter is still out there." Carol cried, walking forward to try and get their attention.

"Okay. Okay, I think it's time that we all start to consider the other possibility."

"We're not leaving Sophia behind."

"El and I are this close to finding this girl! We just found her damn shoe two days ago!" Daryl argued, almost walking forward before remembering I was only standing with his assistance, and he just tightened his arm, scooting closer to me, offering his side for me to lean on, which I happily did.

"You found her shoe, Daryl. That's what you did. You found a shoe."

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about." Daryl growled out again, his fingers squeezing my side, like he was trying to make a fist, before I hissed and his hand snapped back open.