Blade

[Short Story]

I couldn't take it anymore.

My parents were yelling at me. My sister was yelling at me. Even my friends were yelling at me.

They were constantly criticising me about my appearance. They were telling me I wasn't good enough.

I had to give in. I had to. Anything to make them stop.

When I got home that day, I tried to find anything I could to do something about this. A knife, scissors, anything. Even a razor, if that was what it took. I just needed something sharp. Something that would cut easily.

Rummaging around in my mother's bathroom drawer, I finally found some nail scissors. They would work well. I looked up into the mirror and sighed. I looked dreadful. I could finally see why everyone was nagging me about my looks.

I wish I could be as pretty as my best friend, or kind as my guy friend. But I wasn't. Well, not yet.

I lifted the blades of the nail scissors up past my face, and stopped. Was this really what I wanted to do with my life? I blinked. Yes. I continued, down to the ends of my hair, and snipped.

It wasn't perfectly straight, but it would do. So I continued.

My friends were right. My family was right.

My hair was in serious need of a haircut.