Twenty Seven

Caroline's eyes open to sunlight, smiling over at the sleeping boy before her. She still is in the process of understanding that she somehow managed to get him back into her life.

"Good morning," she presses a kiss to his forehead while running a hand through his tangled curls.

"Mhm... five more minutes," he mumbles into the pillow.

She giggles at this, "I've already given you ten more minutes, remember? Come on, your mom has probably made a nice breakfast. She always goes big for Christmas Eve."

He sighs contently, fluttering his eyes open to the gorgeous view before him. He leans over, pressing a small kiss to her lips.

"I've missed you," he says.

"You've told me that for the past week."

"And I'll continue telling you it until you realize how sorry I am for hurting you like I did," he confesses.

Caroline rolls her eyes at Klaus. She thought they were past this. He can't continue to blame himself for everything. Sure, he hurt her— but she also hurt him. She was the one to break up with him in the first place after all.

"Don't blame yourself. It's in the past, okay?"

He nods, knowing he will forever blame himself, but deciding not to fret over it— especially not on Christmas Eve.

"We should head downstairs, I guess," Klaus finally announces, even if it's the last thing he wants to do at the moment.

"Yeah, we should," Caroline whispers, kissing his lips. He can't help but to kiss back, wrapping his hand in her hair and tugging gently, pulling her closer. They don't realize they've been in bed for another ten minutes simply making out with each other before their fourth alarm of the morning goes off.

"Nine thirty already? Okay, now we have to go. C'mon," Caroline laughs, sitting up only to be tugged back gently.

"Klaus," she whines, "you know I would much rather stay in bed with you all day, but it's Christmas Eve. Elijah and Freya are coming home today, aren't you excited to see them?"

Klaus groans sarcastically, "very."

"Be nice," she points her finger with a smile.

He rolls his eyes, pulling her in for one last quick kiss. She hums in content, smiling down at him.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" he questions.

"Yeah, what's up?"

"Last week at my family's dinner party you said that you were with Tyler. Were you telling the truth?"

The question brings her off guard for a second before she sighs, the memory slipping back into her mind.

"When you were with Emma, I sort of kissed him— but nothing more, I swear!— and then we ended things. I started literally crying over you to him and he comforted me, that's all. I just said that to make you jealous," she admits.

Klaus nods with a small unreadable look on his face.

"Okay," he states.

"Did it work at least?"

"Did what work?"

"Making you jealous?" she smirks.

Klaus rolls his eyes, "I got up from the dinner table because I couldn't stand the thought of you being with him while my girlfriend at the time was sitting right beside me. I think we both know it worked."

Caroline giggles, "then my work here is done."

"You're evil, Forbes," Klaus grins, chasing after her downstairs.

• • •

Hope you enjoyed the chapter! :)

XoXo