Chapter 1

"The ocean is evil." Shadow Weaver said as she affectionately stroked Adora's golden ringlets like a mother would her child. Or an owner to their pet.

Adora longingly looked out the window as the waves crashed violently against the sand. Even though Adora lived on a beach, a beautiful sandy cove always showered by radiant sunlight and trees so high she had yet to reach the top of them,  she was never allowed to go near the water.

All the other kids baked in the sun and were cooled by the salty waters of the ocean but Adora, she was different. She was sick.  Or that's what shadow weaver told her. Over and over and over again since she was young.

"The water is your poison." Shadow Weaver said as she fingered through her golden hair tenderly.

"I know..." Adora said putting her head on her fist while looking out at the blinding sun. But she could tell it was getting dark.

Adora, bored of shadow weavers anti ocean rhetoric, get up from her seat on the ground in front of shadow weaver. Her silky white dress draped down to her knees, her feet burrowed into the sand and her golden hair flared out.

"Its nearly time, Adora." Shadow Weaver stood up beside Adora, looking out at the sea with her." Soon your ceremony will begin and you will be a woman."

"Yeah..., I'm...excited about it." Adora gave shadow weaver a plastic smile as she also stood up.

"Now I have to prepare for the ceremony and you have to get in your robes." Adora and shadow weaver went separate ways. Adora's room was across the beach near shadow weavers room. On her way there she heard something. Something mellow and sweet from the ocean. A song calling her toward the forbidden pool. She bathed in the soft notes as she walked closer and closer to the water until she was right where the tide couldn't touch her. One more step, she thought to herself as she stood on the edge. Then she was pulled back by a set of hands.

" Woah, Adora you alright?" She looked up to see a familiar blonde boy.  

"Yeah...kyle...I was just going to get ready for the ummm ceremony...hey do you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

"Nevermind, I must just be imagining things." She said looking back out at the sea. Rogelio wasn't too far away from Kyle. He stood way taller than the blonde boy and put his green scaley arm around kyles shoulder.

"Do you want us to walk you to your room, dinner and the ceremony is gonna start soon so you should hurry."

"Ok...I guess" She walks with the big green lizard boy and the blonde boy to her room but she still feels the pull ocean. She feels it call to her as she walks away from it.

The coming of age ceremony was beautiful. Adora was wearing a black and red robe with golden adornments. The ceremony hall had been in disrepair since the last time she'd been there. The memories were distant but Adora remembered all of the glorious ceremonies. She remembered wanting to sit on the shell dias as a kid.

 Adora saw everyone at the ceremony everyone but one person. Catra. Adora knew that this wasn't Catras kind of scene and she was in the fashion of being late but she never imagined she wouldn't come to her ceremony.

Everyone watched her as she walked up to the ceremonial dais. It was littered with the shell of kids that had ceremonies prior. The person coming of age would sit on the dais and receive shells to put on it. Adora was never allowed to search for shells but she loved them. They were the closest thing to the ocean she had. She remembered when Catra had given her a shell that sounded like the ocean and now she wondered where her best friend was again.