001.

In the neon-tinted, sharp-angled streets of Traverse Town, Emiko was an anomaly and a half. She carried herself with the manner of one who not only was not from Traverse Town, but who had never seen a Traverse Townie in her life. With her long skirt and loose-fitted, brown top, she may as well have been a complete foreigner despite having lived there since she was eight.

That didn't mean she didn't do well for herself. She was aware of and embraced that about her which most Traverse Town natives considered different; plus, it had several times over scored her some interesting friends. Despite the neutral tones of which her entire wardrobe consisted, Emiko had all the cockiness and spunk of a born-and-bred Traverse Town kid – and then a little something more. A sparkle or, rather, a light, if you will. This light was evident in everything she did, from the ever-present bounce in her step to the thoughtful way she hummed when she didn't know the answer to something.

With a personality like hers, she was always bound to attract trouble, her mother had once told her. It hadn't been so much of a warning as a fond remark, but, on one particular evening, it resonated with her as a word of caution.

For, on this evening, she had been met by a most unusual trio: a dog, a duck, and a boy. Of course, "been met with" can be more appropriately described as "collided with in a confused frenzy likened only to that of feeding sharks."

The clamor of the whole ordeal only ended once they all were collapsed on the ground, confused, distraught... and most importantly, it seems, weapons aflail.

"The key!" cried the dog and the duck in simultaneous triumph.

And then, less triumphantly, the dog made an observation. "Well, uh-oh, Donald. Looks to me like there's two of 'em."

Emiko and the boy sat up at the same time, the latter of the two rubbing at a scraped elbow.

"What was that all about?" asked a most disgruntled Emiko. She reached instinctively for her weapon. Only, it didn't feel quite like her weapon. As though having been burnt, she drew her hand back and observed the blade at her side.

It resembled hers in its key-like structure, but that was where the similarities stopped. Her blade was brown and gold. This one was silver.

"Huh...?" Finally looking up, she realized her blade was lying several feet away. The one beside her disappeared in a blink of light and reappeared a moment later in the hand of the boy. With his other hand, he pushed himself to his feet and then promptly offered it to her. Only after a moment did she accept with a brisk nod and a "hmph" of thanks.

"I'm Sora," said the boy. "Are you alright? Your elbow looks like kinda..."

Emiko waved him off and pulled down her sleeve. "Emiko. And my elbow will be fine, thank you."

"Where did you two get those keys?" The duck wasted no time on introductions. He wanted answers; however, neither Sora nor Emiko had a solid one to give.

"I don't know," came Sora's simple admission while Emiko only scratched her head and shrugged.

"I saw those creatures back there, and it sort of just... Appeared."

"Right," nodded Sora. "That's how it happened with me, too. Only, it was back on my island!" 

"It so happens that my friend and I are looking for a key thingy-majigger for our king!" exclaimed the dog.

"But he only mentioned one key," the duck added, looking speculatively between Emiko and Sora. "Not two." 

"Does it belong to you?" Somhow, Emiko doubted it, but she was inclined to ask anyway. "Because you can have it."

Despite her curiosities, she had a rising suspicion that the key was nothing but trouble. Wherever she went, those creatures, the black ones with the antennae poking from their heads, seemed to follow. Whether it had to do with the key or not, she did not know, but from where she was standing, it was looking better to be safe than sorry. 

"No, no," The duck shook his head. "It belongs to you. I think the king-"

Whatever it was that he was saying was cut off when, from out of nowhere, a whole line of those creatures had appeared from over the wall separating the second district from the third – and, this time, they brought reinforcements of every shape and size.

"Heartless!" yelped the dog.

Emiko's eyes widened. As though sensing the imminent danger, her key reappeared in her hands.

"Don't be afraid." Taking on a defensive stance, Sora looked from the dog to the duck and, finally, to her.

"We can take them. Together!"

Slowly, ever slowly, she felt her muscles relax and her fingers tighten around her weapon. This time, she wouldn't be alone. There were others there to help. And she had a gut feeling that Sora may have just been right when he said that- strangers or not- they could take them...

Together.