Chapter 5

Facility cleared, all targets eliminated, requesting med-evac for our wounded and dead. And...Evan is gone...I took care of that...

4 months before

I sat on the top of the mountain, rifle by my side as I looked over the range with thoughts circling my head. A lot had happened within the last few months; Fang's meltdown from getting caught at gunpoint while we were capturing the depot, the death threats I began getting from some unknown persons, and then Evan's incident that had occurred just hours before. It seemed like to much, more than what I had been running from before finding Madam Bells. I sighed, watching the sun slipping behind the mountains. "I thought I'd find you up here," Polar said, turning to find him on top of a large rock a few feet away, "something up". "Just thinking...a lot has happened in the last few months," I said, looking back to the sun, "just hope it doesn't become to much". "What happened...other than the things you told me," he asked, gliding down and sitting next to me. "Evan was possessed today...or at least that's what Sans thinks. It was strange though, something I'd never seen before," I explained, picturing what had happened. "I can see why you're out here then," he commented, looking towards the sunset, "seems Fang is doing the same thing". "What do you mean," I asked, looking down at him. "He's been distant, keeping away from the apartment during the day and returning late at night. Jewel's the one who pointed it out to me, she's worried," he said, looking up at me. "Hmm...I didn't think much of it," I said, scratching my chin as I looked at the forest below, "he'll tell us if it's something important...or that he's willing to share". Polar nodded, turning back to the sunset as a silence fell over us until darkness had overtaken the sky. "We should probably head back inside," I said, rising to my feet before flipping my rifle onto my back, "I wanna check on Evan before retiring for the night". "I'll come with you," Polar said, jumping up onto my shoulder as I walked towards the trail leading back into the facility. I nodded, not saying another word as we moved down the path. Polar seemed to shift every so often, seeming to want to say something. "Something bothering you," I asked, reaching the ruins where the gate was. "Sort of...I was just thinking about Ryan," he said solemnly, looking down at the ground, "I was trying figure out what he would think of all this". "He would have done what I have, dedicated himself to the cause," I replied, causing him to look at me, "he always wanted to regain his purpose as a soldier, but he didn't want to go to Kayak again". "I don't think any of us do," he added, causing me to glance at him, "wasn't a great place to be". "Can't argue with that," I commented, smiling slightly to lighten the mood, "total bloodbath, surprised anyone is still there". He chuckled slightly before letting out a sigh, falling silent again as we moved to the hidden side entrance.

7 months earlier

I sighed after leaving the brief, worried about Fang as he seemed off. He never been one to drink a lot, especially alone when he was under stress. The same stress had been flooding over me, making it difficult to keep a clear head at times. But that's what the fight tank was for, or at least I used it for. Soldiers often spent time there, perfecting their hand to hand combat in simple sparring matches. I'd grown fawned of it as a pastime and a stress reliever as I could release pent up emotions onto a random individual without them know it was happening. This particular day, there weren't to many people inside which was a bit of a disappointment. Wolf stood in the corner, leaning up against the wall as he seemed to be judging the two men currently sparring. His eyes swept over each of their movements, looking for every mistake and indecisive movement before looking to me. "What brings you here," I asked as I walked up to him, causing him to blow air out as if he were disappointed. "I'm bored and everyone else wanted to do something else," he commented, looking back at the fight, "these two seem extremely uncoordinated". "Well not everyone can be perfect," I said, looking at the fight to see they weren't the best fighters, "you fight". "Used to, mostly street fights for bets and respect on the streets. Was the best for a while before I left to join the group, but I think someone took my place pretty quick," he said, watching one man flip the other one before the fight ended, "Why, you challenging me". "Thinking about it, many of the guys I usually face aren't on the same level as I am," I replied, looking at him with a smug look on my face. He chuckled slightly, "Alright, then let fight". I nodded, moving onto the fighting mat after the two previous fighters moved. "Let's keep this clean and try not to break one another," I suggested, getting positioned on the mat. "I can't promise anything, but I'll try not to break to many bones," he replied with a smirk, putting his hands up to fight. I smiled as we began circling each other, neither advancing for a few moments before he lunged forward. He went for a punch towards my chest, only to have me sideswipe followed by my palm slamming into his chest. It sent him stumbling slightly while I continued the advance. His reflexes were quick, keeping up with each of my attacks before he managed to hook on of my legs and pull it out from under me. I gaged, hitting the mat hard as he went to pin me down by climbing onto my chest. It didn't work as I had managed to move my legs between me and his chest to shove him back. He growled as I jumped back to my feet seconds before his fist hit my chest. The punches following had the same effect before I was able to catch his arm over my should and lock it. A surprised grunt came from his throat before I slammed my fist into his gut multiple times. He broke free after getting a descent beating, stepping back for a moment before returning with a roundhouse kick. I slipped beneath it to catch his other leg and remove it from beneath him, slamming him to the mat onto his chest. M He growled, rolling onto his back as my foot kicked towards his neck, stopping just before hitting his windpipe. "You're good," I said, pulling my foot back and helping him to his feet, "the toughest fight I've had in a while. Definitely the first to put me on my back". "I've never had someone lock my arm before. That was definitely new to me," he replied, catching his breath slightly, "also never had someone go for the neck after getting me down". "I believe it to be a weak point everyone has," I added, turning to see the others in the room had been watching us in awe, "seems we left an impression". "So it does," he said, smirking as we walked off the mat, "always more amusing when you have an audience. We'll have to do this again, give me a chance to win a fight". "Just let me know, I'm willing to do this again. It was fun," I smirked, sitting down on one of the benches with him by my side. He smirked back, looking off at the mat as it seemed no one wanted to step forward after what we just demonstrated. "Wonder if anyone else is going to fight now," he commented, making me chuckle before waiting to see if another fight will occur.