First Love

Bracing for the impact, Makoto snuggled against his flippant jacket but as the mindless days wandered on, the inactivity of SEES got to him. If there was no dream, no mortality then why impose it on them? Why give the immortality to those that didn't deserve it? That The Fall couldn't reclaim?

Voices were stagnant as he staggered thoroughly to the grain of tears forming in his body.

There was no divine intervention and no way to keep the cold from him yet, nipping further on, he failed to take the hands back. Take them back inside his gloves as if the cold was the warmth for him. As if it kept his bones from chattering.

"Byakuya."

"Makoto. Are you really ready tonight?" The sorrow was playing on but disguised by the subtle lash of irony. "I can't-" An out of character pose as Byakuya clutched the edges of Makoto's sleeves. How did Byakuya get that way? Sure, they hadn't spent much time together but tingling on, Makoto knew that he couldn't live this way. He couldn't live without Byakuya or anyone. Couldn't live in this world.

Could Makoto give any more?

"I don't-"

"Isn't that your idea?"

And dashing onwards, Makoto leaned onto Byakuya's proud lips but there were bittersweet as if a farewell was in place, so did Byakuya not believe that Makoto would live? Of course not, as even he didn't either. Why should he survive with the remnants of death lingering in his body?

"Then, we'll make an oath."

"O-Oath."

Makoto gasped touching the very fine lips that had embraced Byakuya's and staggered.

"Yes, oath, Makoto Naegi. Oath to my b-boyfriend." Byakuya exclaimed rising against his chest, rising against Makoto's and without a sudden if inexplicable instance, the kiss erupted harder.

Quickly.

Easier.

"Byakuya. I do love you and this is the only way. I'm prepared, but are you?"

"No." Frankly.

Frankly and hurtful.

"Byakuya Togami. Please. Listen. To. Me. You may have proposed this plan but I'm willing to undertake it, even so, you must be committed to it like you are with me. Committed to the end and reckoning that will occur when we regret Nagito's offer. I may not love the idea of facing what's inside but to fix the misgivings and lack of judgments in my life and in others', I find that it's mine alone to take in the end. And besides," Makoto tilted his chin slowly. "I couldn't do it without you and SEES. I love you and I'll happily come back to you and to the oath we're partaking in."

"This oath."

Hitting a falsetto in his voice, Makoto's mind backtracked to his sister and how he'd save her and rectify her imprisonment. He'd find a way to take SEES out to lunch, their many memories and while he could grin at the many fits and light fights that would erupt at the lunch table which didn't make the transition to high school boy to Persona user then finally savior of the world fine. It was downright terrifying and he had been accused of this mess thus serving his life to The Fall and it's destruction. It's inevitable demise.

It wasn't school that dragged them together but a life, purpose, destiny. A destiny of love and faithfulness.