Chapter Five

It had been a few days and Kayla still hasnt woken up, Neill didnt feel much like being alone so he still looked for his group but he always came back. We were starting to give up on her waking up because she hasnt has water or food, she looked severly dehydrated, and malnourished. Our food supply was about out and we havent had much luck finding anymore.

"Were going to have to go further sometime soon to find anything. Weve got two guns that we could probably clear a house or something out with, and weve got knives and you have your bat. With both of us it shouldnt be too hard." I knew he was right, but i didnt want to leave kayla for too long, in case she woke up. "I understand Neill, but what if she wakes up? Or doesnt? Would you want to die alone?" He sighed and just walked out of the room. I got up and followed because even if arguing was stupid he shouldnt try to clear a place out himself. "Please, just we can wait a little longer. We've got enough food and water for at least another day. And if she still doesnt wake up then we can go." He just shrugged his shoulders and picked up a can without a label and opened it up. "Whats your problem? Your not getting your way so your gonna act childish?"

He put everything down on the counter and just turned around. " me? The one acting childish? Your holding onto hope that shell wake up, and itll just take one more day and shell be alive and well. Yet you dont want to take steps to help further your survival. If anyones acting childish. Its you." He took his opened can and a spoon and walked back into the living room. I stayed for a few moments longer, thinking if he was right. I mean what if she didnt wake up? And i was clinging to this hope that she would. Maybe its because she was the first person i was to see when everything happened other then Charlotte.

I walked back into the living room to see Neill still eating looking lost in thought. I stepped down the hall into the bedroom to grab the guns and the bat from off the floor, deciding that he was right and we would have to do what we could to survive, whether i liked it or not. I put the guns on the recliner and layed the bat against it. "Your right Neill, we should do whats best for all of us in the long run. Not wait around for a miracle to happen." He looked at me shocked, like he couldnt believe what i was saying. He nodded and grabbed his bag, motioning for me to follow him. He pulled a map from his bag and layed it on the table.

"Everywhere ive gone ive kept note of on this map. Every place ive looked for the rest of my group, and where some places look like they havent been touched since this started. If we go here," he gestured to what looked to be a few miles away, "theres a little corner store where all the people that had alot of money would shop." He quoted richer people in meaning that, that's where canned foods and anything worth while would be. Since there was a drought a few years ago and only within the past year has everything started to grow normally again.

"I figure we hit there, and maybe something good will come of it. The windows dont seem to be open and the door was locked. I looked around back and it had a metal door you had to open from the otherside. So theres only one way in." I nodded while listening hoping this wouldnt take too long, and we could be back soon.

Without another word i followed him out of the house, pistol in the holster and bat in hand. While Niall had the shotgun, and his knife on his hip.

Coming to the store was a longer trip than expected. Many walkers roamed the streets, groups of six or more and we didnt want to risk using the guns and drawing more attention to ourselves.

Quietly we made our way to the door. "Watch out for any while i try to get this door open." I walked towards the street to watch for any walkers that may try to get a bite out of something fresh.

I heard the door pop open and Niall quietly step inside. I heard a low whistle and followed him inside. After checking the aisles, we figured we might start packing our bags with any medical supplies or food we could carry.

"We may need to find more thread or another sewing kit just in case." I looked at Niall as he smiled and nodded. "So i never asked, and its probably a personal question." He stopped packing his bag with gauze and alcohol and looked at me.

"Do we know each other enough to be having personal questions asked?" I shot him an amused smile and i got one in return. "I mean end of the world, you should ask what you like. But seriously, is there something going on between you and that Kayla girl? Ive never seen-" i cut him short with a no before moving on to a different aisle to get food or anything we may need.

The rest of the store clearing was quiet, my guess was that he figured i was offended for him asking if me and Kayla were a thing. Honestly i guess i was because the whole ordeal was still fresh in my mind and i came back to find her passed out in a bath tub not knowing what happened. It wasnt really his fault for being curious, i did push to stay another day to see if she would wake up.

I heard a knocking sound on a door at the far end of the store. "Psst, Niall!" I lowly whispered to catch his attention and pointed towards the door. He nodded and stuck a few more things in his bag before he zipped it up and shrugged it onto his back, i followed suit and started heading towards the door. Getting closer it wasnt a knocking sound exactly that i heard, it was something hitting the wall.

Niall reached the door first and waited for my count to open it. I nodded for it to be opened and got the bat ready to swing for what would come next. When the door opened at first it was dark, i couldnt see anything. I took a few steps closer feeling Neills presence closer to me as he followed me through the door.

An opened door was a few feet away, the sound got louder. Stepping into the room it looked like a pharmacy, and a few dead bodies layed on the floor. Their heads bashed, and blood on the wall they layed by. One more hard knock against the wall and it went dead silent.

"Hello?" My voice came out softer then i meant it too, but who knew what we were about to be faced with. I heard someones breathing hitch, before it went silent again. "We know your here, just step out so we can see you." I looked at Neill, whos grip tighted on the gun he was holding as my hand found its way to the pistol i had.

Slowly a figure came into view, hands in front of them, slow easy steps forward. Brown curly hair was seen first before bright blue eyes were shown when he lifted his head. A smirk crept onto his face.

"Whats so amusing to you? We could shoot you, you know?" He started laughing, not a soft laugh but a hard laugh after something is REALLY funny. I looked at Neill as he stood there with a mixture of shock, happiness, and disbelief.

"Ni, you wouldnt shoot your old pal Henry would you?!"