Chapter Three

Okay so some smut, and if you don't like girl on girl this part probably isn't for you, but if you want to read this chapter I will let you know when it starts :)

We sat by the fire for a while. Talking here and there. Her name was Kayla, she was nineteen and an only child and she was living out of state. She wanted to go to her home town to see if her family was still alive.  I didnt say much on the topic of families, mine being gone it just didn't seem right to talk about them at the moment. Jimmy being bitten, and then shot without me knowing if there was anything I can do killed me. It didn't seem like he was acting any different, he didn't try to run after me like my mother did. He didn't growl at me or try to reach at me and bite me. He seemed like he was doing just fine. He could've been saved, if she wouldn't have shot him. I could've done something to save him, anything. I was pulled from my thoughts as Kayla started talking again.

"My mom was a nurse, she called me when this first started to happen. Told me to stay indoors because these crazed people were on the streets." She chuckled a little before continuing, "bath salts she said. All these crazy people trying to smoke bath salts!" I gave her a small smile as she looked at me. I looked back into the fire, letting the small flames comfort me a little as I thought about a hunting trip I went on with my dad.

"There was this one time with my dad, we went out hunting and we were sitting in a tree. It was a sad excuse to be sitting in because we couldnt see anything from between the leaves. But he swore up and down that this tree was the one we were going to get this deer. And we heard something behind us, a whole bunch of noise." I stopped and smiled trying to hold in my laughter because it was dark and I wasn't sure if any zombies were close by or not and I didnt want to chance anything coming to close. "He got so excited, because we were finally going to shoot this big ol' deer. Come to find out, it was just a mess of squirrels playing in the leaves." She started laughing, for the first time over the past couple of hours it wasn't with a hint of sadness. It was completely full of joy and I couldn't help but smile bigger.

Before her laughter started to die off, I heard slow foot steps start to pick up speed. Quickly I grabbed the bat from between my feet stood up and spun around. About twenty feet or so behind us were two zombies, making their way towards us. I stood ready rocking on my heels as the first one came towards me. I swung and knocked him right in the head. I went to pull the bat from its head but the barbed wire had embedded itself into the flesh of the zombie.

As fast as I could I pulled the knife from my pocket and went full speed ahead to knock the other to the ground. I shoved the knife through its eye socket, quickly quieting it down and laying it to a permanent rest. I pulled the knife out wiping it on my jeans before standing up, and walking to the other. "Fuck, okay we've got to move and soon. There are more on the way. If they werent moving fast they will be now after all the noise. Any walker within a mile heard that." I placed a foot right by where the barbed wire was in the zombies head and pulled as hard as I could. With a slurp the bat came loose, and I walked over and grabbed my bag.

I started walking noticing Kayla still sitting there, scared and not sure of what to do. I walked back over and grabbed her face in my hands. "You can stay here, and wait. Or you can come with me and we can be a little safer than what's to come. I will do my best to protect you!" I was a little shocked by my own words, I didn't even know I was saying the last part and it just came out. She nodded and grabbed her bag, following me out of the trees, onto the street.

We made our way into the town, sneaking past a few zombies here and there. We were looking for somewhere, anywhere we could find that looked even a little bit safe that we could rest for a bit. I know I haven't slept since the day before, and by the looks of Kayla, she was exhausted. "There." She tapped my shoulder gesturing to a small house, that had 'condemned' tape on the door. I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach as we started walking towards it.