Chapter Fifteen

It's been a month since I went to Jughead's trailer and was rejected, and truth be told, I'm still not over it.

He's still with Betty, and seems happy as ever- which is good. I want him to be happy. But it also feels like someone is slamming a mallet on my heart whenever I see them together.

Holding hands. Kissing. Hugging. Flirting. Play fighting. The whole bit. Jughead seems to have completely forgotten about the whipping incident, and has completely forgotten about me, apparently.

He went to Mr. Johnson and got us switched to different partners, so that we didn't have to talk. He blocked my number and all my social medias. He hasn't spoken to me since that day at his trailer.

Besides that, prom is tonight. Betty has been plastering photos of her and Jughead across the school, that say "VOTE BETTY AND JUGHEAD PROM QUEEN AND KING" for the past month. I wince every time I see one.

I don't care about prom queen anymore. Or anything anymore. I just want him to talk to me. To realize how much I need him. To realize how much I miss him. For him to realize how much he misses me.

School has finished for the day, so I don't need to see Jughead for the time being, but I'll see him tonight. My mother was more excited about prom than I was at this point, and she was really getting into it.

My hair had been twirled into a bun, and my dress was a brilliant gold. My father had it made especially for me, since I was his "golden girl". I had pearl earrings, something I was just trying now, that complimented my dress nicely. (Veronica's dress is below)

I sighed and sat back down on my bed, but was soon startled by my mother opening the door

"Miha, Cheryl's here to pick you u- what's wrong?" she asks, suddenly worried, and she rushes over to sit next to me. She places her arm around my shoulder, pulling my head against her chest.

"It's Jughead, isn't it?"

I nod my head, trying to stop the tears that were beginning to flood my eyes from escaping.

"Don't cry, Veronica. You'll ruin your makeup," my mother tells me, turning to face me. She holds my head with her hands.

"That boy doesn't deserve you, especially if he can't see how amazing you are. Okay? Now go have fun with your friends," she smiles at me, and I force a smile back.

I walk out of my room, my heels clicking across the floor as I do so. I see Cheryl and Toni sitting in the living room, and they stand up when they see me.

"You look amazing Veronica!" Cheryl squeals, and I grin.

"Thanks Cheryl. You both look incredible, which is the usual when it comes to my favourite power couple," I wink at them and they both laugh. (Cheryl and Toni's dresses are below, Cheryl first then Toni)

 (Cheryl and Toni's dresses are below, Cheryl first then Toni)

"Let's go V! Cheryl's got a limo with our names on it!" Toni says, and the three of us hurry out, after waving goodbye to my parents

In the limo I try to join in on Cheryl and Toni's light hearted conversation, but my real emotions aren't easily hidden.

"V, you've been quiet all night. What's wrong?" Cheryl asks, looking at me with genuine concern, something that's rare when it comes to Cheryl.

"I don't know Cher.. I just miss Jughead is all," I mumble, looking down at my lap. Cheryl grabs my face between her two fingers, lifting my chin up so that I make eye contact with her.

"Listen to me, Veronica. It's prom. This is not the time to be moping. It's the time to be planning, this is YOUR prom, Veronica. How are you going to get him to notice you, huh? By hiding in the corner? No. You need to show him that you care- and knowing this would happen, I already have everything organized," Cheryl states proudly, finally letting go of me.

I shake my head, "What are you talking about Cheryl?"

She smirks, "You're getting your man back tonight, Veronica Lodge. And I know just how you're going to do it."

A smile slowly spreads across my face, and I look at Cheryl and Toni to see that they're smiling too.

The limo arrives at the venue and the three of us hop out, careful not to step on our dresses. The three of us walk in together, with me in the centre, Cheryl to my right, and Toni to my left.

As soon as we walk in everyone turns to look at us in awe, and I can't deny it- we look pretty damn good. I see Betty out of the corner of my eye on her phone, speaking angrily to whoever was on the other end of the line.

I realize it must be Jughead, because he isn't at her side like always- he must be running late. I hope he came soon- if he didn't, our plan would be for nothing.

"I just got the count for the prom queen votes, and right now you and Betty are both tied with two hundred votes each!" Cheryl whispers to me and I smile giddily.

"That's awesome! Is anyone running late?" I ask, and she nods.

"Jughead is, he hasn't signed in yet."

I take a deep breath and force a smile towards Cheryl as she leaves me to go make her speech.

Cheryl stepped onto the stage confidently, standing in front of the microphone. I tuned out her speech- I knew it all, she had practiced with me.

"While we wait for one last person to vote for their prom king and queen, we have a surprise performer ready to entertain us! Please welcome, Veronica Lodge!" Cheryl exclaims, gesturing towards me as I walk up the stairs.

I start to panic when she announces me and I still don't see Jughead, but I see him running through the entrance, and he instantly locks eyes with me. He turns away briefly to place his vote for prom king and queen, and then turns back to look at me.

"Thank you, Cheryl," I say into the microphone, not breaking eye contact with Jughead. "This song goes out to a certain boy. I know, I know, it's cliche. But this boy broke my heart, and it's still on the road to recovery. I don't think he understands how much he means to me. He's happy now, I know that, but this song is still for him. For the boy that I love."