Breaking News

Sunday night

Michael

Dancing Machine stopped for the umpteenth time as I hit my finishing pose. Sweat dripping down me as I tried to catch my heaving breath.

I've been working day and night for an upcoming performance, the performance that determined our fate with LimeLight records.

My brothers called it quits nearly an hour ago, and it didn't dawn on me that it was a quarter until nine pm until now. I couldn't help it; my focus was thrown off of everything else in fear of one slight mess up.

The entire label would be there scattered in the crowd – watching and judging our every move.

My brothers were ecstatic about it since yesterday and although Joseph didn't show it, I knew by that faintly familiar gleam in his eyes that... he had faith in us again.

I almost felt the urge to smile at the thought, but there was no guarantee that we'd make it. So I wouldn't rest until I perfected every single move.

With a sigh, I turned around with my head hanging down, preparing to flick on the stereo.

" Boy, you better not turn this damn thing on again."

I jumped at the unexpected sound, relaxing once realizing who it was. " Dunk, you really need to start making yourself known girl." I huffed. " How long have you been standing there?"

" Long enough, I couldn't even focus on my show... Look don't get me wrong, I love Blame It On The Boogie, but I swear if I hear it one more time– You're gonna have to blame it on my fucking fist." Janet sassed me with her hand on her hip, and the other balled towards me.

I chuckled under my breath. " What did I tell you about that potty mouth?"

She put her hands up. " Oh, my bad I forgot you were my big brother... by a couple of minutes."

" Ten minutes to be exact." I smirked cockily earning a nudge from her as we shared a small laugh.

I then tried to reach in for a hug but to my surprise, she rejected. " Ugh un, you need to take a shower or something sweaty."

I gasped at her words before I chuckled in embarrassment and shook my head. " Fine, but let me run it one more time from the top, I promise... this is the last time."

" Mm okay perfectionist, but if I hear it again after this it's gonna be me and you." She pointed playfully as she closed the basement door.

...

After throwing on some loungewear I went into the kitchen for something to eat. And upon turning the corner I spotted Janet sitting on the counter, eating a bowl of grapes.

I smirked at her and immediately she shrugged. " Mommas not here so yes, I'm sitting on the counter." She chuckled causing me to do the same as I opened the fridge, eyeing my options.

" So, Marlon filled me in earlier about you." She began, earning a slight groan from me as I picked up what was left of the carrot cake my mom made a few days ago.

" Filled you in on what?"

" Something about you having the hots for a Valley girl you met at that club." She smirked, popping a grape into her mouth dramatically.