Chapter 1

|The Memory Spell|

   The night was dark, the sky was buzzing with stars as they shot across the sky and dulled themselves beside the bright light of the quarter moon. The grass was damp from the previous night's rain as the lights began to flicker across the city until they were all out.

   Most of the town was asleep by now, excluding the nocturnal creatures that lurked the streets and alleyways, the city was quiet. But on the outskirts of the strange town three kids were bustling with gitters as they soaked into their nightly activities.

  "I don't see what the big deal is," the young girl mocked. "I mean we've broken into this place a hundred times and yet you still get scared every time," the cloaked girl teases her young friend.

   "You don't understand Kat," he cried out. "this place creeps me out, there are so many stray dogs and wild wolves here," the small boy cries rubbing his head.

  "You're a werewolf Benjamin, start acting like one." K.C ruffles the boys ash grey hair. A soft scoff came from her left.

   "You're one to talk, you're a witch and you never use magic." A petite, round faced, girl says with a laugh as they crouch below the window. "Come on Benny, do your thing." She pokes the boys shoulder.

   "Alright, alright. No need to poke me so hard." Benjamin takes off his jacket revealing his ruffled hair as he crouches down on all fours. "If we get caught, I'm not taking the blame again." Benjamin whispers before running around to the back door at a high rate of speed cracking the lock open.

   "Trust me, if you took the blame they'd throw you to the sirens as their little toy." K.C mocks walking into the empty department store. "You've taken the blame so much that they would start to question your loyalty to the mayor if you did anything else, and they got actual proof it was you." K.C walks up to the cash register and pulls out a few hundred dollar bills looking around at the security cameras with a smile as they all fell, their batteries drained.

   "You're the only reason that they never get proof." The petite girl hops onto the counter and grabs a few candies. "You zap the cameras before any of them can see us, you cover our tracks once we leave with a spell that breaks in the morning and everyone in this town thinks your dead so they can't trace it back to you."

   "Kind of excessive to get some free candy." Benjamin shrugs grabbing a soda from the cooler.

   "That's where you're wrong Benny," the small girl smiles. "the candy is just the beginning, remember we need the rush of being bad."

   "Okay Ashlyn," K.C speaks up shoving the money into her leather jacket. "we aren't bad. We're just not goodie-two-shoes like Dianna Bakley. She could rob a bank and still be the sweet little girl everyone thinks she is." K.C bit her tongue disgusted by the thought of the girl.

   "Well, yeah. She's the mayor's daughter." Benjamin says with a small nervous shrug. His amber eyes darting around the room, scared that someone may hear them. "She's not just the mayor's daughter but she's the prodigy of the town, if anything I wouldn't be surprised if she was the next mayor."

   K.C lets out a scoff and a laugh, throwing her head back to exaggerate her sarcasm.

   "If that twit is going to be mayor I'd rather hang myself." K.C grabs onto her throat letting her tongue fall out of her mouth. "At least then I wouldn't have to deal with her nagging and constant complaining. She's nothing without her daddy to back her up, without him she'd be selling her body on the streets for a hot meal. She's a spoiled brat who only cares for herself." K.C crosses her arms over her chest in an annoyed tone.