Chapter 3

|Half-Breed| 

   "I don't see why we have to go on some ancient cruise." Michael grits his teeth as they unpack all of their bags from the car and into a small boat.

   "Because Michael, this is very much needed for us to spend some family time together. I mean we haven't been getting along too well lately." Abigail refers to her brothers always fighting as she throws a bag over her shoulder. "Besides it's only for the week. It's not like we're staying for a month."

   "Feels like it." Ryan mumbled shoving his journal into his blue backpack. "Are you sure that we'll be back before school starts?" 

"Yes, the cruise is only for two days. We're pretty much going in a big circle and we should be fine." Abigail smiles brightly as they board the boat.

   For two days the journey is quiet while the Johnston siblings explore the boat and stay away from each other. Under the deck of the boat, Ryan lay in his bed sound asleep. Every few moments he would whisper a name or a cry for help until he finally woke up with a start. His breathing was shallow and his heart was racing.

   "Abigail!" Ryan shouted jumping out of his bed and up the metal steps. "Abigail where are you?!" Ryan searched the boat until he found his sister staring out at the ocean at the front of the boat.

   "Ryan? What's the matter?" Abigail placed a hand on her younger brother's shoulder trying to steady his shaking figure.

   "I had a dream but this one was different and I think I saw you in there." Ryan placed his forehead on his older sister's shoulder.

   Ryan knew that Abigail would listen to him. He was sure that she didn't understand the things he was saying, but she listened and sometimes that was all he needed.

   "What did you see?" Abigail asked him.

   "Streets mainly, a few people here and there, you and Michael on a large wooden platform, and the same girl I've been seeing for about a month now. But this time it was different, she had something beside her, like a black dog or something. I don't know how to explain it but I saw you and Michael and I freaked myself out. Then I woke up and came to find you." Ryan explained, his heartbeat slowing down only little.

   "Hey, it's okay. Remember Ryan, it was only a dream nothing more." Abigail hugs her little brother tightly.

   "I know but-" Ryan pulls away from his sister, staring out at the ocean. "is there an island over there?" Ryan pointed the faint shadow of an island.

   "I think so, why don't we go check it out?" Abigail smiled happy that Ryan's mind was on something other than his dreams for once.

   "Sorry las, but you'll have to take a small boat. There are too many jagged rocks along the shore so we can't get close." The captain said peeking in on their conversation.

   "Oh that's alright. Ryan, why don't you go find Michael and I'll get the  boat ready." Abigail lightly pushes Ryan towards the cabins and happily goes with the captain to find the boat.

   "Michael get up." Ryan pokes his brother's side until he wakes up. "Come on Abigail wants us." Ryan walks over to his own bed grabbing his dark blue backpack putting a few of his things in there.

   "Why? It's too late to do anything but too early for dinner." Michael sits up rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

   "There's an island nearby and she wants to explore it. Besides it's only four in the afternoon." Ryan walks out of the cabins and up to the deck where he finds Abigail waiting.