Chapter Five

“Breaking news tonight as the worst event that we could ever imagine has been realized. Not less than seventeen year ago in the fall of 1979, six children were brutally murdered and mutilated in their own homes and the only evidence leaved behind by the killer were pieces of hard candies. Now it seems that the same killer or perhaps a copycat murdered and mutilated five year ago Christoper Allen and his little sister Kimberly Allen just two hours down town.” The reporter stopped as if trying not to break down sobbing. “The same hard candies were found at the scene of the crime and now investigators are reopening the 1979 murders stating that there is a possible link between all of the cases. If anyone has any information for this investigation, please call the station as soon possible. This is Heather Parker reporting for Channel 3 News.”

                                                        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The room was filled with uncomfortable silence as my dad turned the TV off with disgust and he sent us all to bed. I took Bobby to bed and tucked him in. Saying goodnight, Stacy and I went to bed without a word. It started to rain along with a thunderstorm rolling in. I laid in bed feeling sick to my stomach listening to the pouring rain, just knowing. Knowing the one who did it. At first, the thought was a bit overwhelming that someone from the circus would have stayed just to kill those children even though the circus leaved a week ago. But I just know deep down inside...I knew.

“Stacy...” I whispered into the darkness. Thunder roared in the distance as the storm crept closer. I felt her body shift next to me, “Stacy.” I whispered louder now hearing her groan and turning towards me in the dark.

“What...” Her was as groggy as a toad's crock. “I know who killed those children.” I said with thunder crashing while fear and dread swirled around in the air as I spoke.

“What?” I heard her say with concern as she turn away from me and turned the lamp on. I groaned as the sudden brightness blinded me as I felt Stacy put her hand on my shoulder. I looked up at her with knowing eyes. She stared back at me, waiting for a response.Waiting for my explanation.

“It was one of...of those clowns...at the...circus.” I said, my voice cracking. My throat stung with dryness and sorrow as my eyes became to water. Stacy embraced me in her arms as silence tears leaked from my eyes. The air around us was foggy with dread and sorrow as tonight's event still lingered, waiting to strike anyone with its deadly weapon, fear. Moments pasted as we embraced each other, not wanting to lose this moment. Stacy was the first to speak.

“I know how you feel. I can see it in your eyes. But I don't think it was anyone from the circus, Lisa.” She said as she let go of me. “But I'm sure it was one of them.” I insisted, sitting up.

“Look, I know that news report really shook everyone up but there's no need going around and suspending anyone could be the murderer and I really don't want to hear it right now.” Stacy turned away from me covering her ears. “I not gonna listen anymore tonight, Lisa! If you continue with this nonsense, then I'm sleeping on the couch.” She scold me like a mother scolding her child after doing something bad. She then laid back down, turning the lamp off as she did, and cover herself in my sheets, saying no more.

I sat up again, unaware that I had no idea what was going to happen now with all of the terrifying events around us. Just waiting to strike its next unexpected victim, draining them of their innocence and the pureness of their souls. My thoughts turned to Bobby, I sprang out of bed to make sure he was okay. I open my door, took long strides towards his door, opening it cautiously and quietly trying not to disturb him. Poking my head in, I saw him sleeping soundly in his bed, snuggling under his sheets like an adorable kitten tried after a day fulled with play and wonder. I tiptoed to his side to cover him more in his comforter and give him a sweet peck on his forehead. Even I am surprised to see him sleeping even after that news report, I thought he would be having nightmares by now.

Stepping out of his room, I shut his door lightly and crept back to my own room to try to rest without earning another nightmare like that one I had the other night. Laying in bed, I slowly fell asleep to the light dripping of rain sprinkling over head.

When morning came, I felt depressed and drained of energy like everyone else... well except for Bobby. Even the most tragic events wouldn't wound his happiness and innocence. But I still felt bad that one day he'll grow up and see the world for what it really is. I walked into the living room only to hear nothing but silence. There was silence everywhere I took a step. Even the neighborhood make no sound. No birds, no cars, and no children. It was like everyone just upped and lifted without a warning of some kind. Walking into the kitchen, I saw Stacy and my mom eating some cereal in what was like a empty void in the vacuum of space. I landed each of my hands on Stacy's and mom's shoulders and with what I had of my voice said a quiet good morning.

“Good morning, hon.” My mom said breaking the soundless void of which was the kitchen.

“Morning” Stacy said.

“I would ask you how your morning was but I think I already know the answer.”

“I think you already know, mom.” I said, walking to the cabinet to get some cereal. I poured the milk in the bowl and got myself a spoon. I sat across from both Stacy and mom as we ate in silence. The everlasting silence that has cursed this morning with nothing but dread and sorrow. Eating away at my cereal, I wondered to myself – What's gonna happen now?