Chapter Four

It's too hot, I thought as I sat in front of a fan I had in my room. It has been two weeks since I had that dream and nothing else has happened. So far. Now that I have thought more about it, that dream just seems really weird now and almost has a foreign vibe to it. Sighing, I got up and walked to the kitchen to phone one of my friends to see if one could sleep over. I really needed someone right now besides my parents. I haven't told them cause then they would be over dramatic and probably phone the police and have them investigate the circus, like I said over dramatic. I picked the phone off the wall and dialed Stacy's number first. After a few rings, her mother picked up.

“Hello, Baker residence?” She answered.

“Hi, this is Lisa. Is Stacy home?” I said.

“Oh hi Lisa. Yes, Stacy is home, let me get her. Hold on.” I heard her put the phone down and footsteps walking away. I leaned against the wall as I now heard loud footsteps rushing.

“Hi Lisa! It's been so long! She squealed into the phone making me flinch away from it, “It's only been two weeks and calm down.”

“Sorry, hon. So what's up?”

“Want to have a sleepover here at my house?” I asked. “Of course, I would! Just let me get my stuff ready and I'll be there in ten minutes.”

“Shouldn't you ask your mom first?”

“Don't worry. I'll handle that. Be there in a flash.” She said as she hang up the phone. I shook my head as I put the phone back on the wall. As I walked to the front yard, Bobby ran up to me with a bag of candies. Hard candy to be exacted. I lifted my eyebrow at him as he reached into the bag and gave me a piece. I gladly excepted the candy piece.

“Thanks for the candy, buddy. Did mom buy those for you?” I asked as I unwrapped the wrapper and popped it into my month. Mmm, cherry. I sat down with Bobby sitting down next to me.

“My imaginary friend gave it to me.” He said eating a piece.

“Oh he did? Well what did mom say about it being okay?”

“Of course, I did.” I heard my mom and looked up saw her walking up to us. I lifted my eyebrow at her and she gave me a we'll-talk-about-it-later look. Bobby then sat up saying he had to pee and ran inside the house to do his business. I looked at my mom and asked, “Did you get him the candies or did Barbara give him those?”

“It must have been Barbara cause I know she likes to Bobby sweeties and it fits more of her character anyways.” She said petting my head then walking inside. I hope she was right. As I stood up, Stacy came biking up to my house. She then rode into my driveway and literally ditched her bike on the lawn. Ugh. Again... She rushed me and swirled us around as she hugged me.

“I know it's been two weeks but I really missed you!”

“Yeah, I missed you too. Now let's get your stuff up to my room and wash up for dinner. My dad making his steaks.” I said getting Stacy set up in my room. We then had a delightful dinner and everyone had a great time even me. For the first time in two weeks, I was finally having fun and not having to worry about anything. It was like all my troubles just got up and flied away. But it didn't last that long when something unexpected happen and it leaved me utterly terrified.

As we all got done with dinner, we sat in the living room watching TV. I sat next to Stacy talking about how excited we were that we were gonna be Seniors this year and how fun our last year will be when the program we were watching changed to a breaking news report. When I watched it, my inner fears became a reality as I listened to each and every bone-cracking, nerve-wracking word the news report said.

“Breaking news tonight as the worst event that we could ever imagine has been realized. Not less than seventeen year ago in the fall of 1979, six children were brutally murdered and mutilated in their own homes and the only evidence leaved behind by the killer were pieces of hard candies. Now it seems that the same killer or perhaps a copycat murdered and mutilated five year ago Christoper Allen and his little sister Kimberly Allen just two hours down town." The reporter paused as if trying not to break down sobbing. "The same hard candies were found at the scene of the crime and now investigators are reopening the 1979 murders stating that there is a possible link between all of the cases. If anyone has any information for this investigation, please call the station as soon possible. This is Heather Parker reporting for Channel 3 News.”