March 11, 2019

Where Am I?

I was breathless. He looked at me, making sure I was okay. Without a word, I noted that I was okay. He nodded, still breathing hard.

"Those are scary," He laughed, once catching enough breath. "How have you dealt with them your whole life?"

I shrugged. "You get used to it I guess." I looked around the tiny space, examining all of its contents. A cupboard with rations for at least three days, a sink, toilet, blankets, and a couple pillows.

I decided to sit on the bench that was placed at the side of the safe room. As I kicked off my heels, the kitchen aide laughed at me. "I never took you for the kind to unravel themselves when not alone, kinda person."

I cocked my head, looking at him with furrowed eyebrows. "What?"

He took a seat next to me. "You know. You always seemed like a prim and proper princess, from what I've seen. Never one to kick off their shoes in front of the hired help."

I shrugged once more. "I never thought you'd be one to rescue a princess. Although, now it seems we are both mistaken."

He nodded and chuckled. "You're right." After a very, awkward silence. He stood, taking a look around. Wondering what in the world could be in the cupboards. I was just wondering how long we were gonna be stuck in here. There weren't any handles to the outdoors, so until someone came to get us.

"You know," I said, relaxing against the wall. He turned around to look at me. "I don't think I ever caught your name."

He smiled, confused. "And why would you want to know that?"

"Well, you so obviously know mine, why wouldn't I want to know the name of my rescuer?"

Pleased, he sat next to me once more. "It's kinda embarrassing to admit."

"Why's that?"

He sighed. Unwilling to give in. "Because you've known me your entire life, well my name at least. And you still don't know my face." I was confused now. Who could he be that I wouldn't remember his face? Surely I'd remember one like his. My eyes pleaded for him to tell me. "Fine. My name is Lincoln."

All of a sudden, a billion memories of that name filled my head. "Oh, oh my gosh." I suddenly got really scared, he was the one my parents betrothed me with. I didn't even know him then. So I sent him away, I sent him far away. And it looks like he's returned.

"Accia." He said softly. "I know the reason why you sent me away. And I forgive you for it."

"I don't deserve that. . ." I returned, barely above a whisper.

"No, you do! I understand why, I truly do. You were scared of marrying someone you didn't know, and now that you know me. . ."

Suddenly the door opened, to reveal guards standing in the doorway. "Princess!" One of the guards exclaimed. "We found her!"

"What? What's going on?" I asked, grabbing my shoes.

"When you didn't arrive to the royal safe room, we thought you might've been dead." The other guard replied. "But thank God we found you, your father will be relieved."

Oh, yes, my father. The man who controlled my life, or everyone's life.

"And I see you've met our newest kitchen aide, Sam. Thank you, for saving our princess. You may go back to your duties." The first guard said, and he was rushed away.

"Wait." I commanded. "I need to talk to, Sam, for a moment. Alone."

The guards left us be. And I threw my arms around him. "Don't worry," I whispered. "No matter what, I'll come and find you again. Now that I've met you, I  can't lose you, too."

I let him go, and he nodded, smiling softly. Walking back to his duties, he turned around to me once last time and winked. Now to find my father.