Room 1

Where It Started

Celine's P.O.V
Wandering around campus, I'm looking for an activity to take up my two hour break. DSU always had something going on, so I'm surprised I'm having trouble finding somewhere to go. I usually prefer the events that include free food. Maybe I should look past the food and I'll find something.

Walking past the dining hall, I see a sign for artistic minds to come alive. The only bad part was that it was tonight and not right now. I give up. To occupy myself, I find a nearby lounging area to relax.

I walk past a young girl who's eyes are buried in a pile of notes. For a split second, she looks directly at me, with a warm smile. Then, her eyes immediately go to the book in my hand.

"O-Oh my God," She exclaims. "That book literally saved my life. Something about her writing just heals you. I don't know why." She smiles at me.

I'm used to being an introvert, so her approach takes me by surprise. But, immediately I can see that she's the type of person I can warm up to.

The book she was referring to was Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. She was right, something about her writing in this book just heals you and takes you away.

"I completely agree," I say lowly. I'm so used to replying with a dismissive statement, hoping the conversation ends soon. But, she continues happily.

"Have you read her other books?"

"Uh, no not yet." I try to ease my way towards the lounge area, hoping she gets the hint that I don't want to talk any further. Dammit Celine, why are you such an anxious wreck all the time?

"You should. You'd love them. I'm Anastasia." She says. "What's your name?"

"Celine."

"I'm gonna spare you the horrid statement "Oh like Celine Dion?"" She rolls her eyes in disgust and I giggle. That is exactly what everyone says when they learn my name.

"I appreciate that," I smile with my teeth.

"Hey, there's an artistic night going on on campus tonight. Do you write by any chance?" She pries.

"Y-yeah I do actually. But I could never get up in front of people and read my work. I'd literally throw up on stage." I say anxiously.

She shrugs. "You'll be able to one day. But, you should really come! I'll be there and I could really use a friend. My first semester-last semester- I was set on isolating myself because I was so intimidated, but eventually my personality came out and I decided 'Anastasia, get out there and live your best life bitch.'"

We laugh together. She made me feel very calm. She talked a lot and fast, but she was welcoming and sweet.

"So yeah, I'm not forcing you but I do need friends and I like you. And, something tells me you could use a friend too." She raises her eyebrow.

I shrug "Yeah. Last semester was my first semester too and I became even more of an introvert than I already was. Nothing has changed this semester."

"Well Celine, get out there and live your best life bitch." She replies.

Somehow, Anastasia had a real effect on me. Get out there and live your best life. Huh? She was so abrupt in a such a comforting tone that it almost intimidated and upset me. How could someone I just met get in my head and make me want to finally do better?

I went back to my dorm, took a nap and woke up to get ready to go out tonight. I forgot to set my alarm clock and I don't have a roommate to make noise to wake me up, so I missed about forty-five minutes of the artistic night.