- j o r d a n d e g o e y

in which Ruby, aged only 21, passes away. Whilst she hadn't seen him in 1 year, Ruby's boyfriend still grieves. Things escalate when a present arrives on his door step the morning of her funeral.

• • •
Fixing the forth button on his suit, Jordan took in a deep breath. She had been gone for 7 months, but now it's official. Her funeral.

Ruby was too sweet. Her smile made hearts flutter and fingertips grow weak. Ruby's eyes were a clear, warm and gorgeous brown that made her appear to be so inviting. And she was. She had such a kind presence, no sign of negativity. A perfect figure in everyone's eyes.

But for someone to be so perfect. For someone to make anyone smile because they saw that gorgeous smile, you had to be in pain somewhere, feel some fault in life. It wasn't physical features, her hair was brown but tinted with a golden glow when flowing behind her in the sun. Her facial structure as soft and kind as anything. So what aspect of life could possibly wrong?

Did she long for love? Someone to share her passion of happiness with? She had Jordan, her boyfriend of 5 years. When she had passed she hadn't seen him, in person, for nearly a year. Maybe she was lonely? Wishing her love was next to her. Again, she couldn't have been lonely she was with her best friend and despite missing her boyfriend, the two would constantly text and face chat.

The answer is simple. She wanted children. Not right when Jordan saw her last but eventually. When she moved to New Zealand, she was 18. She was told nearly a year earlier that she would most likely never be able to bare a child. Her body couldn't function in a way that would allow her to do so. Jordan remembered the day she found out. She wasn't Ruby. She was an empty balloon ready to pop with nothing but air inside of her. She got over it however, her smile returned but in a different way. She wasn't completely and utterly happy and it affected Jordan. He wished his truly happy girl would be back.

11 months later, Ruby was suddenly offered a scholarship to a prestigious university in Christchurch. Jordan was willing to move with Ruby but she refused to let him leave any football career he had behind. She promised she would only be there for a year, two at most. And she would always visit.

All of the mentioned promises were broken. They of course chatted constantly but he only travelled to Christchurch once and she didn't want him to be around much. Ruby was acting like she had something to hide. After that Jordan never returned to New Zealand but Ruby came back to Melbourne twice.

The first time was by surprise, not long after she moved and the second time was because he begged her to come to and see him. That was the last time he saw her. She had been in Christchurch for a year.

Now, a year on, Jordan still loves her. He always will. And now he stands looking in the mirror seeing nothing but a sad blonde boy who's eyes had turned grey and face as pale as ever. His facial hair had grown out to a ridiculous length and he longer looked like Jordy.

Jordan huffed looking down at his feet, letting a cold salty tear drip from his cheek and onto his black leather shoes. About to sit down and watch tv in his small apartment, his doorbell rang.

Suddenly alert, Jordan wiped the tears from his cheeks and rubbed his eyes trying to make the glossiness go away. The doorbell rang again.
"I'm coming! Dammit." He called out, whispering the last word.

Nonetheless the doorbell rang again and he groaned jogging to grab the keys and open the door. He swiftly brought the door towards himself and gapped at the sight in front of him.

A little girl?

"Huh- What?" Jordan muttered, not knowing what to do as he stared at the little girl who stared back up at him.