Chapter 2: Hide-out

September 11, 2012.

Me and Matt just got out of school, well, drama club that is, which ends at 5. We had arranged plans to go hike to our favorite hiding spot. We weren't trying to be secretive by any means, this was just our way of getting lost in the moment, lost in each other. We've hiked up here everyday for almost the past 60 days and that's a long ass time. We cut through the field behind the school and ended up near my house. which is also by the forest. "Ready?" he asked looking around to make sure the coast was clear and that we wouldn't get caught for trespassing. "Actually, I need to stop at home first." I said matter-of-factly. "For what,though." "I just do, okay?" I explained to him. Without hesitation or second guessing, we turned around and started back towards my house.

We arrived at my house 20 minutes later. "Wait here." I told Matt, and without letting him respond I was already in the house and halfway up the stairs. I wanted to come back here and re-do my whole "wardrobe" today. The sun was already setting and it was 7:00, I changed into black leggings, black ugg boots, and one of Matt's oversized sweaters because it was pretty chilly outside, and it smelled like him, which I adored, he always smelled so good. I applied light foundation, concealer, powder, nude lipstick, black eyeliner and mascara. I usually never wear make-up to school unless it's nescesary, like if I wake up and I have dark circles that look like craters, I will put some on, but that's usually it. I grabbed my ear buds and threw them in my purse, (I feel like they'll come in handy later on). I turned to walk out my door, when I heard a pebble on my window, it was Matt. I opened up my window and he spoke, "Will you hurry up? It's cold as shit." "I'm coming, I'm coming." I replied. With that I was already down the stairs and out the door. "I'm here." I replied quoting the episode of Full House me and Matt watched yesterday. "You're so cute when you wear my huge sweaters." he said winking at me. Was he flirting? If he was, I didn't mind, not one bit. "Let's go." he said. "Ehh, I'm too lazy." I said. "Oh hell no." he said before he lunged at me and picked me up bridal style and carried me all the way to the fence. He looked aroung checking to make sure the coast was clear, as usual it was. He lifted the gate, and I crawled through.

I unlocked the gate from the inside, so Matt could get in easier. Once he was in we started walking. We stopped and did snapchat stories and things like that, we saw some wildlife, a dear a few ducks. To get to the top of "Katthew's Peak" that's mine and Matt's name for our spot, you have to hike a spiral like path of hills that only go up and it takes about 20 minutes to do, so by the time we reached the top, it was the last few minutes of sunset. The full moon was already in view, and the sun was barely peeking over the horizon. We finally reached the area where we set up a log for us to sit on and talk, and shit like that. I sat down, put my knees up to my chest, and sat. I was silent, I just stared at the sunset, like I'd never see another one like this. I was cold, I was shivering, but the sun still warmed my face. I thought about Matt, and how we'd been best friends since pre-school, and how he'd been flirting today. So many questions were racing through my head, Did he like me? Did he realize his flirting was so God Damned irresistable? I don't know, but maybe I did like him a little. But, even if I did I couldn't tell him, that might ruin the whole thing, end of the line for me, so that was no option for me. He sat down next to me, and rubbed my back. The wind was stinging my eyes, and they were tearing, Matt though I was crying.

"Matt, it's the wind, I'm not sad." "Oh, good I thought you were sad." "Nope." "Damn, the sun went down fast." he said "Ya I know," we sat there in silence for at least 3 minutes. "hey," I continued "wanna listen to music, I brought my ear buds." he looked at me and smirked he started.... "Ooooooorrr....... we could do this." he grabbed me picked me up spun me around, set me down and said "You're it." he took off through the trees, and I chased after him, I couldn't be happier.