The Moment

"Want some help with that?" he asked with a smirk as she tried to wiggle out of her zip up dress without unzipping it.

"Yes please" she answered resignedly backing up to him, closing her eyes as his fingertips trailed down her spine

In public, they were barely recognizable as a couple. At work, all business. Highly private. But in the space of their own home, it was love and flame. Dancing and book reading marathons. The sex had slowed from fevered lovemaking to just right and just enough.

Comfortable.

It had been a month since the trial fiasco. They had settled back home and were moving through the swing of the everyday grind. The ring screamed at him from it's hiding spot in his bedside table drawer.

Turning his face down to her neck, he breathed in the scent of her perfume: peony, musk, and vanilla. Light and heavy. Sweet and sultry. Light and dark. The perfect combination of opposites. A small kiss on her shoulder, then her neck, behind her ear.

The dress slipped from her shoulders, skin raised in goosebumps. Turning to face him, her grin made his heart skip.

"I missed you" she whispered, unbuttoning his work shirt, kissing his chest.

Everything about her was soft, skin silky under his fingertips, smile never far from her features, soul defiant but coated in sweetness and patience. Justice and mercy. He didn't think they would live together so well but they made a solid team. Her fire consumed him but never burnt.

"How much?" he teased, unsnapping her bra, tracing her collarbone with his tongue.

"I can show you" she shot back, knocking him back onto their bed easily.

Giving into her touch, he grinned as she happily undressed him, hands greedily relearning his body. His mind wandered back to their first sexual encounter, about a week after they met.

They had just eaten a take out dinner from her favorite Thai place at her apartment, snuggled amongst all the half unpacked boxes and errant clothes. The electricity between them flowed freely, verbal sparring and physical shoves and jabs tantamount to foreplay. He hadn't chosen to enter any relationships before because he worked constantly and he didn't want to be beholden to any commitment. He remembered giving her hip a gentle squeeze as she shot down his argument.

Her giggle and shriek rang out clear and joyous, and before he realized what was happening, her lips were on his. Sweet, tempting, and full of desire. He gave in immediately, realizing how touch starved that he truly was; stomach flipping and heart threatening to leap up into his throat.

She kissed him deeply, her tongue performing a sensuous dance with his as he squeezed her ass through her after work yoga pants. Their moans and quickened breaths colored the air and he wanted to make love to her; to every single inch of her beautiful body. He knew she needed him just as much.

She pulled her top off over her head before biting down on his shoulder blade. He cursed, nearly finishing before they got started.

"Can I do something that you'll really like?" she whispered in his ear, sucking on his lobe with her hand resting over his crotch.

"Whatever you want..." he groaned, hips bucking up to meet her hand as she unzipped his jeans.

His fist thrust deep in her hair as she moved up and down slowly around him, mouth wet and warm, the vibrations of her contended groans brought the experience up to the next level. Alternating fist with tongue and gentle thigh nibbles quickly brought him over the edge.

He fought to catch his breath as she straddled him, kissing his neck. With one hand he flicked and pulled her nipple, cupping her breast while the other hand dipped into her panties, slowly circling her sweet spot until she arched her back, falling against him and calling out his name.

"Stay over" she demanded sleepily a few minutes later, the two of them in a heap of limbs on the couch, half naked and starry eyed.

After that night, they never slept alone.

"Sophie...I love you..." he grunted out as he came inside of her, bodies moving together in a perfectly memorized dance.

Eyes closed as she came, she laid against him him, arms wrapped around his neck. The timing wasn't planned, it wasn't perfect or luxurious. But it was real. He reached into the drawer, pulling out the ring. A pear shaped smoke grey diamond surrounded by clusters of smaller white diamonds on the side, set on a simple white gold band; ethically sourced and fair trade.

"Sophie Grace Kennon, I knew we were meant for something greater the moment I met you. I want to be your best friend, your lover, your co worker, your helper, whatever you need. I want to be. I love you more than I ever thought I could love anyone...Will you please be my wife?" he asked, leaning on his side with the ring held between his fingertips.

Her eyes filled with tears, lip trembling. She nodded silently, a giant grin taking over her face. His heart soared and he slipped the ring onto her finger.

"You are my most favorite person in the whole world...I can't think of anyone else that I would want to bail me out of jail. I'll happily be yours forever" she gushed, kissing him lovingly.

The best was yet to come.