Chapter 2

"We will probably need some guns or knives or something to kill these... things," Dash explained to the rest of the group.

Everyone, but Dash and I, looked scared to death at the statement.

"Who's apartment is this?" I asked.

"It was my older brother, Matt's, but he is out of town for a meeting," Peter informed me a blank expression on his face.

I could tell he was worried about his brother. Even though he doesn't show it.

"Mind if I look around?" I ask him.

"Not at all."

I walk over to the kitchen. I start searching the drawers for knives. I find about 15 of them that I think are able to cut through flesh. I went over to the other room. As soon as I enter I notice that it is the bedroom. I checked everywhere, and I found medicine, two guns, and a six pack of beers in the mini fridge. I brought all of Matt's things out to the living room and set it down in the middle of the floor.

"What's all that for?" Penny asked.

"It's in case we have to leave in a rush," I told her honestly.

She looked scared now, but I know it's better to tell her now rather than never.

"Why would we need to leave?" Hallie asked out of curiosity.

"I don't know. Maybe a whole heard of those things knocks down the door. We run out of food. One of us gets bitten..." I trail off thinking of my last statement.

Getting bitten means dying, I just now realized the real ness of the situation.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><

The bitters are back at the door. They are pounding and growling at the door again. It has only been two days but we are already running low on food. Everyone knew we would have to leave soon, but none of us want to be the first to say anything.

"We are running low on food," Tristan stated quiet enough so only I could hear.

We we're staring at the almost empty pantry. There was a bag of potato chips, some saltines, and caned goods left.

"Well no dib Sherlock," I said sarcastically.

He let out a small laugh.

"I think we should go out and find some food or a safer place."

He knew I was right. I saw it all over his face, but he stayed silent as if considering the thought of leaving. The things we may have to face. Losing people along the way. Now I am thinking about it. One of us being ripped apart by a biter. The thought of it is unsettling, especially because that person could be me. I have to remind myself that 'we're alive now.'

"Maybe you're right," Dash said.

We both agreed to tell the group tonight at dinner.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><

I opened a can of baked beans and some canned pineapple. I put the pineapple in nine separate bowls with plastic spoons in each one. I heated up the baked beans for about two minutes, then put them into nine separate bowls also with the colorful plastic spoons.

I carried the bowls out to each member of the group. I sat next to Dash and Julia.

"Dash and I feel that we can't stay here much longer," I announced to everyone.

I could tell they knew what we meant. It was no secret we were running out of food.

"What? Why?" Penny asked her dad.

No one really knew how to respond to her reaction. We all knew why, it's just the facts of what we should tell her and what is the truth.

"We are running low on food," Peter started not knowing what to say next to reassure her.

Tristan tried to reassure her by telling her, "We will find a safer place to live."

Penny tried to act like she felt better, but I can tell that she was still scared.

"So are we leaving or..." Julia trailed off.

"I think we should," Phillip stated confidently.

After Phillip everyone started to agree.

"So we will leave first thing tomorrow morning," I announced.