Chapter 35: Pain

The next morning, I wake up in the middle of the forest. Something's not right though. The sun is too dark, the wind is blowing too hard, and the birds aren't loud.

It's quiet except for the sounds of the wind blowing. The trees even look different. They're usually a bright green, but now it's a greenish-brownish color.

It smells like smoke. A cloud of smoke flies by me causing me to cough. "Oh my gosh. Are you okay?" Rachel kneels in front of me. Her usually neat strawberry blonde hair is now wild. Strands of it is flying all over the place. Another cloud of smoke flies by and I start coughing while turning on my side.

Blood starts to come out of my mouth. A huge pool of it comes out. Rachel curses under her breath. She places me back on my back. "This is going to hurt a little, Okay?" She starts to say a spell.

Their is suddenly a sharp pain in my sides. It feels as if someone is stabbing me over and over again with a chainsaw. I yell out and Rachel winces. "I'm so sorry. I can stop." She opens my eyes a little to get me to look at her.

"No. Keep going." She gives me a look asking me if I'm sure. I nod. Rachel starts to do the spell over again and my yells continues.

"What the hell are you doing to her?!" The voice seems distant but I think it's Lizzie. "Hope! Rafael! I found her!"

Rachel acts as if she doesn't hear Lizzie and continues the spell causing me to yell more. Out of nowhere, Rachel flies back against a tree. She tries to get back up but falls back down.

"Stay away from my girlfriend!" Hope stands next to Lizzie as she uses her telekinesis to throw Rachel away. All three of them run over to me.

Lizzie sets my head in her lap and looks at Hope. "We have to do something. She's dying." She stares at a panicked Hope.

Hope is breathing in and out while shaking her head. "Hope!" Lizzie tries to get her attention again causing her to snap.

"I'm trying okay? I'm trying to think. If you would just give me a moment."

My breath starts to quicken and I am twitching a little. A poison runs through my blood causing every part of myself to feel like it's being suffocated. I gasp a lot trying to get some air.

"Look at her, Hope! She's in pain." Lizzie is still looking at Hope. She doesn't know what to do either. Her blaming Hope is her way of feeling less guilty.

"I care about her more than you do, Lizzie! I'm not going to let her die." Hope has a fire look in her eyes. She stares at Lizzie fiercely causing Lizzie to break eye contact and look at me.

Lizzie rubs my head. "It's okay, Alexa. You're going to be fine." She gives me a small smile.

Rafael sits next to me, quietly. He's thinking about something while holding my hand. He avoids my eye contact, and stares at Hope.

Hope is whispering some spell. She say, "dammit" everytime it doesn't heal me. She is trying so hard to save me, but it isn't working. That's when it hits me. I'm dying. I'm going to die and they won't be able to save me. That terrifies me, but being strong is the only way to help them.

I look at Rafael. "I love you big bro. Tell Landon too for me." He shakes his head with a tear rolling down his eyes, but then he nods. "I love you too and okay."

I look up at Lizzie. "I love you, Lizzie. Please thank your dad for me."

She looks at me almost crying. "You're going to be fine."

"Promise me."

She nods, and then whispers, "I love you too."

Hope is still working on a spell. I manage to lift a hand to her face. "Hope, I-"

She shakes her head. "No. You can tell me later, okay?"

"Hope..." I want to get it out before it's too late. Hope turns to me.

"You can tell me later, okay?! You're not dying!" She goes back to saying the spell while tears roll out her eyes.

She know what I'm going to say, and I know she feels the same. I stay quiet and let her try the spell again with a small smile on my face. The last thing I need is to actually look dead. I would look horrible. Hope keeps cursing under her breath.

My vision starts to get blurry, and head feels lighter. The sun shines bright in my eyes, so I close them. The blood in my body stops gushing out. It slows stops.

"Alexa? Hope, Raf, look." Lizzie tries to shake me a little. Someone starts to shake me, but as they stop I can't move anymore.

The struggle of moving is so hard. "Go get Dr. Saltzman! Or Emma!" Rafael starts to have a panicked voice. He takes Lizzie's spot as she gets up. His cry is loud and he starts to pant.

"Emma! Someone help!" Hopes voice is loud as she sobs. The pain in both of their voices are hear able. Hopes voice cracks as she keeps yelling. I keep trying to move but it doesn't work.

Rafael and Hope are still siting next to me. Their cries stopped and they both hold one of my hand. Every once in a while, they'll rub my face hoping I say it was some sick joke.

"Guys, it's not true is it?" Landon's voice is close and it sounds broken. As if he was crying before he even came over here.

Rafael let's go of my hand. I hear them embrace each other. Landon comes and sits down next to Hope. He tries to talk, but his voice is shaking. Landon stumbles over his words.

"I love you, Alexa." Now I really wish I could move to say it back.

"She told me to tell you that she loves you too." Rafael is sniffling as he talks. "She loved you a lot. You too Hope. That's what she was going to tell you."

Hope is sobbing. "And I should've let her." She squeezes my hand more, and bring her face close to mine.

"Please, come back."