Chapter 1 - First Sight

*Shanghai, China
10:55 pm

"I'm very sorry, but we have no available rooms for now and we're already closed."

An awkward looking boy said repeatedly in Korean at Hideko and Sook Hee.

Hideko stands motionlessly as she watched Sook Hee begs the boy to let them in.

"We can stay even in the servant's quarter. Even if it's a c-cupboard r-room, w-we'll accept it. P-please let us in"

Sook Hee stuttered when cold breeze blew by them while Hideko, still clad in the Count's clothes, could only hug herself.

"What's going on here?"

A voice asked behind them, words said in fluent Korean, surprised both Sook Hee and Hideko.

They saw a girl unloading herself from her bicycle in a swift but graceful way; it's as if she's walking on air. The three of them stopped their conversation and took a good look at the speaker.

A Korean or maybe Chinese girl with piercing stare looks back at them, clad in faded greenish trench coat and large black boots with a burlap knapsack slung at her back. A grey scarf neatly covered the lower half of her face, making it hard for them to recognize her face

"I said, what's going on here?"

Pulling her bicycle with her, she inquired again when she hears no response.

"Lian... N-nishang?!"

The boy exclaimed and immediately bowed deeply to the girl. He contemplates for a moment whether to leave the strangers by the door or not, but later decided to rushed to the girl's side, mumbling his sorry at her.

"Lian Nishang? A Chinese name but she speaks Korean fluently."

Both Hideko and Sook Hee took notice, with a glance at each other; they confirmed that they have the same thoughts.

Hideko noticed her but kept her calm demeanor, as she too, observed the girl in front of them.

She had the same straight black hair just like Hideko, whose hair is tucked under her wig.

The girl's hair stops before her elbows but much longer on her back, cascading down eerily perfect just like a waterfall, well-trimmed bangs perfectly framed the girl's face, hiding her eyebrows completely.

With the lamp post behind her casting shadows on her face, the girl's eyes are nowhere to be seen, adding a not so good vibe on her aura.

Sook Hee can't stop but wonder at the girl in front of them. She seems nice but has this creepy vibe on her.

The girl reminds Sook Hee of the scary story that Hideko once told her back in the mansion.

She shivered at the thought of actually seeing the spirit of Hideko's deceased aunt.

If Sook Hee is creep out by the girl, Hideko only remembered her doll.

The very same doll she would speak to when she was a kid.

Nice but cold inside and out.

"They're inquiring for a room to stay for the night but our Inn is fully booked for now. There's an envoy that the master expects to arrive tomorrow. I'm trying to send them off but they won't budge. I'm very sorry Miss."

The poor boy mumbled while bowing deeply at the girl.

"How many times do I have to say, look at me, when you speak?"

The girl said instead with her mono-tone voice laced with authority.

"I'm very sorry."

The boy could only bow his head down at the girl who seems one of his masters.