Two

The upper part of my body catapulting up and off the scratchy bed linen. I look around and am blinded by the white room. My noses catches only the scent of sterilization.

I gaps, clutching my midsection from my sudden movement, an assault of stabbing and prickling pain. Looking down at my torso; a thick, gauze like material was wrapped repeatedly around. Constricting my breathing.

Closing my eyes, my stomach roll in nausea.

Hearing the click of the door open, the hospital curtain obscuring my view from my neighbors, slithers open, to let a nurse come through, decked out in scrubs, a name tag states her name is Misty.

"Oh, so swell to see you awake at last Miss. Hardy." The nurse gave me a bright, white smile. Taking off the board from the end of my bes, she holds it tightly.

I scratched the back of my head and looked past her to see my parents, huddled together and peering from behind the nurse to myself. Worried glances casting to each other, hands clutched tightly together, fingers laced.

"So, you've got a few broken ribs, and a few dozen stitches on your cranium. We still are having a few test results coming back in from the labs. But as far as we know, no severe damage has been done to your brain nor your internal organs; other than some bruising. No bleeding."

She flips through the clipboard, looking for anymore details to give me on my condition, but finishes and clips it onto the  hospital bed, again.

"I'm sure you have some questions?" She looks between my patents and I, hands clasped behind her back.

"When will we be able to bring here back home?" My mothers' nose twitches and sniffles. My Da's hand smoothing down her hair, and wiping away her stray tears.

"You'll be able to discharge her in a few days. We would just like to keep her here until we have a definite analysis on her condition." They nod and murmur their thanks as Misty leaves, slipping the curtain close again.

"Oh, honey. Please don't so this to us again, we want you to quit all that daredevil nonsense." My mother starts as soon as the curtain is closed.

"Your mothers right, Samantha."

"Sam." I mutter under my breath quietly.

"Samantha, we're serious." My father came and stood beside me and took my hand in his; covering it entirely with his own.

"Honey, your father and I, we've talked and It's cleared my.. our eyes when you got hurt that.. We need to stick together, and through all the mistakes we all have made, we need a clean slate."

My father squeezes my hand softly, a small movement to show he agrees.

"I... I don't understand.. are you putting me back in the system?" I lay back down and star at the florescent lighting.

"Honey, NO! Absolutely not. You're my wonderful little miracle. Just know, even though I didn't give birth to you, you're my daughter."

She looks at my Da for a second and continues after a silent agreement between them.

"But, remember we choose you. We choose you to join our family, to make us a family. I didn't birth you but, I choose you out of all the others."

I feel my fathers calloused hand wipe the tears from my face. I didn't know  when I started crying.

"I love you guys so much." I sniffle, trying to stop the tears.

"We love you, too." I hear their voice echo. And I look at them curiously, but shrug it off as they both kiss my cheeks.